Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > here's a series for ya.......
Posted By:
Posted By:joleen0313 on: 3/22/2007 7:49:20 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: here's a series for ya.......
joleen0313

here's a series for ya.......
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:49:20 PM

I graduated cosmotology school in December.  I have been working at the same salon for about 4 years now as the receptionist.  I have been looking forward to becoming the assistant and moving forward with my carreer.  I have been assisting for 3 months now, and doing hair when I can.  My boss came to me the other day and said they can no longer afford to pay both a receptionist and an assistant so they want to put me back on the desk.  I totally understand where they are coming from.  But I just can't take that step back.  Unfortunatly they pay me well, which makes it hard to start somewhere new and not make any money at first, especially when you live on your own.

So that was unfortunate number one.  After having this long conversation with my boss, I come home to find a 30 day notice of quit.  Which means my land lord wants me out by may 1st.  I dont' have a lease with her, so she has the right to give 30 days with no explination or reason. 

This could be a great opportunity for me.  I'd love to move to a different state, but I can't get my liscense in any other state b/c mass only requires 1,000/hrs, and all other states it's more.

So, please bring on the posotive, I could use it!!!

doinitright
Bronze Member

For every door closed 2 more open.........................................
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2007 4:57:47 AM

You seem like an upbeat person, shop around, check out your area.  You will have to find a new place to live and while you do that, look for a new  salon...  Look for high traffic areas, a place that will promote their stylists or assistants.  I am a hands on person and have never assisted.  I knew I wanted to get my feet wet right away.  Plus back then, I don't think they had asssistants.lol  But I would not let go of the pay, until I found something.  Stepping back  and keeping a steady income is not  as stupid move, the bill collectors and landlords would agree.  But look around, and if you find a place check it out a couple times to make sure it is for you.  You really do not have to starve, you can do a second job as a waitress, beer slinger, or hostess.  Yes it sounds like alot of work but if you really want something you have to work for it.  Life is waiting, are you going to answer?...  AT one point or another, you have to make a choice, I gave up a highly successful career as Dir of Sales and Marketing to join this industry, I have never regretted it.  The first couple of years I missed the money$$$, but that was it.  I worked tending bar and did hair during the day.  And yes rounded up quite a clientle, that really helped...... It is all what you will put into it.  Good luck and may you find your dream job and also your dream home.....

This is based on my experiences and beliefs, if it offends anyone I am sorry.  This is what makes this country and this site so great.