Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > A Downward Spiral !
Posted By:
Posted By:Kristenmichele on: 3/27/2007 6:10:51 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: A Downward Spiral !
Kristenmichele

A Downward Spiral !
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:10:51 AM
ok so my day started out great especially after a fantastic weekend.....first client cut styled happy as a clam....and then in a blink my next was double booked they walked in at the same time! I convinced one to come back although her daughter was getting married on Sat. and she had a ton to do still including her hair she was happy to help me out. Then my client that stayed  whom i've been doing for about 2 years and NEVER changed her hair color (because it works) turned pink yes pink in the crown area!!!!! Go figure so she turns into a corrective color! Running late now I finally fix her after 2 1/2 hours of working it....my next 2 clients walk in together (1 highlight and 1 color) and the one being my client from the morning .....so I ran about 15 min. behind but catch up at the end of my one color.....it was a typical 2 hour color for me and it always takes 2 hours but this one client decides to give me a hard time about sitting for a cut color and style for 2 hours. So being a valued client of mine I decide to take $10.00 off of her bill and she still gave me the stink eye! should i have done that???? I thought it would've made her happier? And my last client (the mom and her daughter's wedding) I decided to not bill her at all! Although she gave me money anyway I felt bad...I know half of this day was out of my control but I always want them to leave happy! And to make a long story short my corrective color is coming back in tonight to get toned out some more.....so I will most likely give her money back too......so waht turned out to be a $500 day is now a $ 200 or less day!!! OUCH! thanks for listening!

misty
Bronze Member

No no......
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:01:09 PM

Kristin don't give anyone any money back!    You have done the work, and you are going to correct it tonight-why would you give her the money back too!?  More than likely you will correct her hair to the proper shade and she will be fine.   Offer her a coupon for her next visit-give her a bottle of conditioner, but I wouldn't give her her money back.  A wise stylist many, many years ago when I started out told me.."never give anyone the money back-it will snowball on you in the end."  Stand behind your work.  Explain that hair can be as unpredictable as the weather sometimes.   Medication, water, health problems, any number of things could have interferred with the process.    Think of it....  you give the client her money back.  Gives her the notion that, "hmmmmm so she messed it up-she had to fix it-AND I got my money back......"  She loses confidence in you and your work, and it's a very good chance you will never see her again! 

Kristenmichele

you're right!
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:45:26 PM
I am so glad I checked my mail before I go in tonight! You're right I do need to stand behind my work and I was just thinking of giving her a cift cert. for her next visit being that she is a snowbird and I won't see her until next year(hopefully)

misty
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:50:29 PM
Good for you Kristin!   A gift certificate for 5$ or 10$ off would suffice.  She should be very happy with that.  She's a snowbird--she doesn't want to have to come home and find a new hairdresser.......she'll be back!   Be careful what you wish for!!  haha

SouthernGuy
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:27:05 PM

misty
Bronze Member

yes.......
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:21:44 AM

Perhaps we have worked together southern?   Your correct in stating "In other words you keep the control in the situation.  Once you hand control over to a client in any way you are done for as a professional."

Always stay on top.  Also-master the art of knowing what to say in every situation!   Southernguy said he mentions "you can't hurry beauty" when he falls behind or is over time on a service.   I do something of the same nature, saying I only have one speed and there is no client that I can rush on to get to the other!   Thus you would never see a watch on my wrist or a clock in my salon.They all want equal time with your undevoted attention.

Well Kristin-how did it go>?

hues4you
Platinum Member

Kristenmichele
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:40:28 AM

Dear Kristenmichele

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  I hope today is much better for you than yesterday :)

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

Kristenmichele

problem solved!
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:39:25 AM
I went into work last nigt and fixed everything! I am still working on building my confidence as a hairstylist.  I am learning from my mistakes. My client left by telling me she'll see me in the fall so let's hope. Thanks for your support!!!! It felt good to vent! hahaha

misty
Bronze Member

You go~!
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:43:41 AM

Good Kristin!  You WILL see her in the fall!  I'm sure you were great with her last night!  You sound like a smart Hairstylist!  Good Luck to you!

in2msclkw

over booking yourself
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 5:21:14 AM
I think the problem is your trying to do to much at one time, granted were is this field to make money. I wouldnt double book appts at the same time. Allow yourself enough time to focus on that client remember time is money and they are paying for your time and talent. I hate it when clients are late they throw off your whole day.So imangine what the client thinks when your running behind.So then you start to feel that pressure to rush a little faster trying to get caught up. Well that never works. And you say it always takes you two hours for one color then book one color and do a haircut in between. The idea is to work smart and hot hard. Its all in how you book your color services some colors process in 20,30 and 45 minutes. I dont think your client was mad that it took two hours for color i think she was mad because you were running behind. Granted we want are clients to be happy when they leave but dont give your services away for free. You dont see a doc or dentist say sorry i was running late today is free. All you can do is say sorry I am running behind today and do your best job. Now if this seems to happen all the time to this client that your never on time for her most likley your going to lose this client and $10.00 off isnt going to make her happy.

Kristenmichele

sounds good...
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:03:19 AM

Yes you never want to double book, but it was out of my hands! The receptionist made an error when booking my 2 color appts. one of them was a highlight which I need more time for, but she's usually on top of things I still don't know what happened exactly but I try not to dwell on what went wrong just on how to fix it. However my (pink client) was my fault and our color rep says the tube was bad so we sent it back, but I think they just told me what we wanted to hear! Bottom line is that I ran late because I had to do a corrective color in the middle of my already hectic day!!!! I realize now that taking money off of my services is the absolute wrong thing to do, but I panicked! Call it lack of experience! Thanks again for your advice....ALL OF YOU!