Author: Thread: Client list
someday2

Client list
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:58:33 AM
stylist left sent letters to clients

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:41:24 AM
And? Do you have a question or just needed to vent? This is a situation that happens to a lot of salon owners.

someday2

Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:53:13 PM
I know with stylist there are no guarantees when and if they might leave, but I recenlty had a stylist leave, the next month the receptionist and then another stylist.  In the process when the first stylist left, the receptionist was putting her clients into the other stylist.  The receptionist left and a month later the other stylist and now I find out this had been set up so that the second stylist could collect client information.  I now find out she had been handing clients cards to fill out.  These are clients that since we opened were new to the salon and stylist.  I need to vent pretty much.  Being new to the salon ownership, and being a stylist myself, I would have never thought to do this to an owner.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

rory breaker

Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:59:02 PM
Its a a great question "who does the client belong to"?

Legally I would say the information collected by your staff on behalf of your salon is information protected by the Privacy Act and property of your salon. In your case she was collecting it on her behalf. Anyway, I hardly think its worth your time and money to sue her and you wouldnt get far. and this is not a court room, its real life.

What you should really be thinking is why your entire staff decided to leave you like that and take all the clients. They obviously were not happy. IMO that is your job if you are the owner. I think you need to communicate more with your staff to see if they are unhappy. Otherwise they will get that classic "i cant wait till i walk out and talk all my clients with me" attitude. Do you know what their reasons were for leaving?

And ultimately its the clients choice who and where they get their service done.

misty
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:59:08 AM
Someday.........Unfortunately-this is a classic move in this industry.  Rory is right!  As an owner, you need to know these things.  Always stay as aware as you can.  Spend a lot of time in your salon-on the floor-with your stylists.   Keep an open and friendly env. AND try to keep them HAPPY!  Try to be aware of body language, CLIENT interaction with yourself AND their stylist, and quiet conversations.   Low interaction with you from the stylists.....another sign.  Talk with them periodically about their likes and dislikes within the salon.   Try this approach with the staff that is there.  As for the ones that left-get your own letters out there!!  The "client" belongs to no one!!   RIght now they are out there dangling--waiting for the right notion!   Make them an offer they can't refuse!  Pull your chin up and fan your tail feathers--you can do it!   Act quickly-BETTY NEEDS A HAIRCUT-and she wants the best deal!!  :)

russnyc
Platinum Member

Reply to owner
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:09:29 AM
Blame never gets you anywhere. Stylists will begin to feel ownership to the client after servicing them for a year, and that's not a bad thing because it's part of the reason why clients return. You can be proactive by insisting that every client have their number and address entered into the computer, or signed into a ledger. You then offer a discounted postcard mailing if you wish to keep these clients. You better have a supportive staff to back you up, though or that client data isn't worth the papaer it's written on. Most of that data will be wortless after about 6 months because the clients have moved on or to another stylist. You will have a very difficult time getting clients that were new referrals to the stylist because they weren't coming for your salon.

Quite simply put, unless you have been proactive and drawn up a list of things you expect from your stylistwhen they are hired and constantly affirm them in a positive way, you will continue to see this. I would go right out and get a video camera and put it up above the desk and expalin that your insurance company needs it there now or your premiums will go up. If your receptionist took a bribe, they aren't to be trusted with money either. NONE of them, because more than one knew about this. You need the camera to keep them honest, not really to catch them.

Then you sit the rest of your staff down and explain how you want your salon run, without any hate in your tone. Explain what happened and that it cannot happpen again. Find out the reasons WHY the stylist left. Ask what you can do to keep them there. Open your books and SHOW THEM that you can't give them raises but are open to finding new ways of raising revenue.

I will be honest here and say that the salon I worked at several years ago here in NYC just closed last Saturday, and a lot of it had to do with bad management and a lack of communication. I was sad but not surprised. It was a nice salon, but no one was allowed a BM during the shift even though there were 3 bathrooms. Ridiculous? Enough said.

Here's the truth no one wants to hear- EVERY STYLIST THAT WORKS FOR YOU WILL LEAVE ONE DAY. It is NEVER a reason to celebrate! There is NO HAPPY way to part! Even death isn't happy!

Draw up future business plans and hire new employees with this always in your mind. When all your stylists are booked or you are leaning on only one or two stylists to take the overflow, HIRE NEW PEOPLE. Never rely on one stylist to fix color. Always have at least two corrective colorists, and a colorist in training.

Are you sure you sdidn't see anything odd the past 2 months? Don't you sit everyone down in a group then in private at least once a month and see if everything is OK? was there a blow up in the salon?

Building stylists is a lot like growing trees. Everytime one comes down, hopefully you have planted 3 long ago to replace it.

This is an excellent time to reevaluate your entire business structure and figure out where you're going.

misty
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:19:17 AM

Russ........tell me your joking about "but no one was allowed a BM during the shift even though there were 3 bathrooms.

That is the most bizarre thing I have ever heard!   What would the reasoning be for this???

someday2

Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:54:30 AM

The problem that I have with all this is everyone seems to think I have done nothing to keep my stylist happy.  They could not be in a more relaxed atmosphere.  I never saw anything coming.  I do sit with them each month one on one and also as a team.  I always have a suggestion box, just in case someone does not want to speak up.  They have full paid vacation, sick days, paid holidays, health insurance,  I pay for education to a degree.  I actually sent one of these girls off to be an educator.  Paid for everything which actually benefited our salon also, having an educator on staff.  I should have seen actually when I hired these three, that they were eventually going to go.  The first stylist left and said she could learn more at another salon.  Now I gave them the opportunity and put it out there for them all the time.  The receptionist moped around for a month because this was her best friend, so off she went.  They all went to the same place. But this is a pattern also with them.  When one leaves the resst have to be on the first stylist footsteps.  I don't think they know how to think for them selves sometimes.   But through all this, yes I have sent letters.  I have a four letter program that I send to the salon clients, when one stylist leaves.  I do feel that the salon now has no tensions, the other stylist which I have 7 seem to be able now to come directly to me.  Often the first stylist had to be put into her place many times.  She thought it was her salon.  She said she was better than the other stylist in my salon, which I disagree with.  Each stylist is unique, some different than others, but as far as I am concerned in my salon, no one is better than the next, just different. I feel so much better letting this out.

russnyc
Platinum Member

Personalities
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 6:38:19 AM
Hi

This is a delicate balance. You can't hire alpha personalities and expect them to stay when they intend to own their own salon, or continue to grow outside the box. They work best where you are constantly giving them more responsibilities, more goals, and more money. When they have hit a ceiling, they WILL go. You have to maximize their effectiveness and minimize the damage when they finally do leave. Hopefully,they have made plenty of money for you in between!

I resented one of my old bosses because he didn't think I had what it took to become an educator and told the regional director so. I simply worked around the BOTH of them, and went on to become certified to teach OTHER educators for Aveda. You simply cannot stop someone who is driven.

It is admirable that you have unique people, but you're right, there are personalities that can be easily swayed. Personally I think it's a weak part of our culture not to have strong, highly opinionated views or be accountable for one's own actions without blaming someone or something as well. I also think it has to do with watching too much TV.

Really try to take the long view with this- you did enjoy a nice run with the employees, and it might actually be fun now to train new employees with what you have learned.

There are other ways to bind people to your salon- i.e, if it is really slow, book new cut/color color with one stylist, the cut with another, and explain that you want to book fairly so everyone gets a chance. It also makes it a little more difficult for that client to decide to leave your salon if one of the stylist leaves.

You can also tie in more promotions into the salon itself, such as gift certificates and prebook paid services that are good for any stylist. Start finding ways for your people to rely on other team members and feel good about working in a strong group atmosphere. Extinguish any fire ups quickly but convincingly by using common sense and by being fair.

Just remember that people come and go, it's not the beginning or end that matter; it's the time between that is well spent with them.

*Yes, we had a meeting long ago at my old salon where my ex-boss requested that everyone time/schedule their BM's AROUND their schedules (before and after work) because he thought that the bathrooms smelled bad.

I couldn't look him in the face at the meeting because I thought I would laugh out loud, and everyone on the businesses around his found out about this- he became a laughingstock of the neighborhood and never quite knew why, because all the employees told EVERYONE, (we had to, we were using their bathrooms instead, LOL!)