Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > do I have a bad outlook on the situation?
Posted By:
Posted By:pixiechick101 on: 3/30/2007 8:34:37 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: do I have a bad outlook on the situation?
pixiechick101

do I have a bad outlook on the situation?
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 8:34:37 PM
So I did an updo on another stylists regular client as she does not do updos. She described somewhat what sort of look she was after and after a few more questions I had a decent idea of what to do. I spent an hour and everyone walking by said it looked awesome. When I showed her the back she said. "oh, everything has to go up because of the dress I am wearing." (which she did not specify earlier, but whatever) I put it up loosely with no hesitation, but it really lost the style. I felt I needed to let her know that, and its her decision, I can leave it up but I felt it looked better down. Although I would show her and it was ultimately her decision, I would be happy to fuss around a bit more with it. She said no it was nice and paid the 80$ and off she went. She phoned when she got home and said she felt it wasn't "her" could she come back and have someone else wash and blowdry with curls. I'm assuming she was uncomfortable coming back to see me cause she felt bad.
The problem is that my boss gave the client to another stylist and told the receptionist to move $35 from my total to the new stylist. I feel this is very wrong as I had done and completed the service to her expectations as far as I was concerned. I think that she should have it fixed by me for free or pay extra to have someone else do it. Am I wrong? I put in all that time and effort and I feel like my boss is stealing from me. Any comments or suggestions on how to handle the situation tomorrow with my boss? Please?

russnyc
Platinum Member

Updos
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 4:46:20 AM
Hi

Your boss had the client's interest first. It is part of your job to ensure the client had what she wanted, and you sort of have to ask what the dress looks like if this was the case. Having that client come back again is much more important than your $35. Take it as a lesson learned cheaply.

I don't do updos walk-in or from other clients because there are too many things that can go wrong and their expectations are not necessarily mine. This is really hard to squeeze into a 30 or 45 minute session, and simply not worth it to me from a money standpoint- I can do three highlights and make more money the same time; I have to leave an updo with extra time open.

If you decide to continue doing updos, you need to consider creating a standardized system so that there are no mistakes in communication. For example, have 3 kinds- french twist, plait, chignon- and photos of each of your work in an album. Use the same model for each; someone with textured, lightened hair on a clear backround, then do three versions of each look

refined (tight, clean- no messiness)
classic (slight movement, tendrils)
urban (Slightly unkept, street saavy)

NARROW THE FOCUS

You shouldn't take more than 5 minutes with the consulatation. Avoid using more than one photo. If she comes in with 3 different photos of specific details and wants you to sew them ALL onto her head, it won't work.

KEEP THE FOCUS

Whatever you do, DON"T change the hair once you've gotten the base tied up. You should leave the sides and bang loose so you can adjust, but if you have to pull out the whole thing, you've lost her confidence. Have her agree to each step along the way and change ONLY what she disagrees with at each step.

Updos are a very differnt art than cutting hair. The only other advice I can tell you is that every updo should only have on primary focus point, never two. I.e, if you use flower(s) THAT is the focus not the hair, so avoid going overboard with the detail and keep the hair simple. If you have an intricately curled chignon, everything else should sweep cleanly into it, keeping the eye's focus on that one aspect. Also PAY ATTENTION to the SIDE profile as you are working.

Anything else looks overwrought and will make her look like a drag queen.

pixiechick101

thanks russ, but...
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:14:44 AM
Hey, thanks for taking the time and some of your suggestions are good. But, I have been doing updos for eight years and I am pretty confident in my abilities of that. We did have a consultation and I got as much information as possible. In fact "What does your dress look like?" Was absolutely one of my first questions and always is, followed by "do you have any specifications? I do understand what you are saying. And I suppose that I was having a bit of an off day. But, the actual issue that I am dealing with here is my boss taking money from me. I can understand that she didn't feel comfortable in the updo. It happens. But there were no hard feelings about it or anything. But I have always run with the policy that I will do anything to make my client happy when they leave. Even if it takes all day. Or fix it for free if they aren't happy. If they chose to see someone else than I think they should have to pay for it. But thanks anyway Russ I do really appreciate your input.

hues4you
Platinum Member

pixiechick101
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:34:23 AM

Dear pixiechick101

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules.  Russ gave excellent advice.  Up-do's are definetely an art.  I personally do not even know how to put one up, so I refer out.  Thru the years, I have seen many that do do them end up in similar situations to yours.  When you are dealing with weddings, proms and special events what the client has in her mind does not always come across verbally well.  Or they get it and they do not look like the princess they thought.  If this is a service you are going to offer, you have to take control of the situation and I have known many to say - we have one shot at this so let's get it right - no refunds.  Great communication and confidence is so necessary to be this way. 

Now for your salon owner - she is only trying to make this client happy.  Do not take it personally - $35.00 is nothing in the big scheme of life.  You can actually look at it like she did you a favor - saved you a lot of time in a situation where a client did not know what they wanted.  Sit down and talk to the owner about the policies regarding up-do's or redo's just so you feel better.  Sometimes a pep talk does a lot of good.  You do not service this client for any other service - it is not like you lost a great client.  Remember time = money and if you had to redo that service you could of been running behind and lost more money with the redo.  Try and find a positive in this and know you can not make everyone happy.  Just try to learn from this as Russ states if you want to provide up-do services.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

teachhair

Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:32:16 AM

YOu're money ahead with the salon owners decision.  If you had done the restyle it would have taken at least another hour of your time at no charge and you would have been either a nervous wreck or somewhat testy with the client (that's human nature).  This the salon owner saved you the stress and kept the client for the salon.

pokepres

nope
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:37:06 AM
no, you aren't being stolen from...this is common practice in salons. If the client is unhappy and goes to another stylist, normally the WHOLE ticket is taken off and given to who-ever re does the client. I'de be happy it was only $35 and not the full $80

misty
Bronze Member

exactly.......
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 4:26:04 PM
Pixiechick (love the name btw...),  I agree with everyone here!  As an owner, I would have to say---your boss handled the situation perfectly.  I believe I would have handled it the same way.   Actually I may have taken more off of you had the service the other stylist performed been more.  Don't sweat it.  This might be the first time-but probably won't be the last.  Try this-put yourself in your boss's position.   Your him-the client comes back in-you cannot charge this client again-it needs to be re-done for her to be happy.   Another one of your stylists take care of it.   Now.  Where will the money come from to pay the second stylist-the client is not paying again-is that money going to come out of YOUR pocket because your the owner?   Why should it?  It shouldn't.  And the money has to come from somewhere.    Don't be upset-he did the right thing.  Consult longer-talk throughout-and make sure that client is 100% happy BEFORE they walk out that door.  (I realize you thought you did.   Learn from it-that's all you can do.) 

hairchic
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:16:03 PM
great advice from all. i have one teeny tidbit to add... stylists are people first and people don't always see eye to eye. there are many stylits out there for a reason. the client may simply not have felt you "got" her and that has to be ok or you will have a nervous breakdown pixie. and the owner was honorable in the decision to allow you to keep some of the money.
Carpe Diem

pixiechick101

thanks to all
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:06:53 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice. It is very helpfull to know that my boss is doing something right cause it sure didn't feel like it. Anyway, I really appreciate everyone taking the time to make me feel better. Thanks again guys.
pixiechick

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:56:14 AM
I really hate it when owners do not stick by there stylists.  This probably did not happen in this case since it seemed like the client (though she was a horrible communicator) was not rude to you.  However what your owner did was something completly different and I think maybe even worse. 
There was not anything wrong with having another stylist do the service if she was not happy, there would perhaps not have been anything wrong if your owner said 'You know what, you weren't happy, I'm going to give you a thirty five dollar refund' nothing wrong, but to take thirty five dollars and give it to another stylist who has not done this womans hair is outrageous.
Also never mind how outrageous that is, but this stylist has never seen this woman (at least as of when you posted this to my understanding) what if this lady comes in and doesn't like this stylists interpretation of an updo either.  Is your boss going to keep moving around monies?
You have every right to be annoyed by that, but it seems like you are an open minded person, and that you will be able to handle the situation.  I myself would play it by ear.  If the whole thing is smoothed over, and you don't hear anything else about it, then maybe you should let it go, however if it's not smoothed over, or if anything happens like this again, I would talk to your owner immediatley.

misty
Bronze Member

hold on........
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:27:30 PM
I stand behind my stylists 150%!  Bottom line to this is being fair to everyone involved.  Where and how did you want that owner to pay the second stylist?   Or was the client supposed to pay $80  AGAIN to have her hair redone?  I don't understand your reasoning on this Vall.  I hate the fact-as does Pixie-that she lost $35, however what about the other stylist?   If they would have charged that client AGAIN-she would have never come back into the salon at all probably.....  neither would any of her friends, or sisters, or aunts, etc.   Big price to pay-don't you think?

russnyc
Platinum Member

valleygrrl
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 3:45:49 PM
Valleygrrl, this is a really pessimistic point of view. First of all, what if the woman was spending $3000 a year in the salon, and another $300 in product every year? If I don't give her what she wants or try to charge her for something she doesn't want or like, not only do I lose her but she tells 100 people how bad the salon is.

Secondly, if you always "have your eye out" for my boss to mess with you, OF COURSE you're going to wish it to happen! Being paranoid, even if your boss tried to do something good, you're going to think what's in it for him.

This is a penny wise and dollar foolish attitude because haggling about the 35 bucks not only makes you look smaller but your boss will think twice before giving you any new opportunities for fear of your retaliation.

You make your own destiny. If you decide to always think people are out to get you, or keep your"I don't owe nobody anything" attitude, it really keeps you from becoming what you could truly be. Also, all that stress from worrying is sure to burn out your career prematurely.

Really try to see the long term effects of your perspective...

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:12:14 PM
Russ-Oh, no doubt one should pick ones battles, and I agree that if you are looking for your boss to tick you off they will, however I think it is imperative for the whole salon to stick by your stylists.
However on to this issue in particular, maybe I'm not seeing it clearly, but I just don't see how this is making the client happy either.  The client isn't getting her eighty dollars back, or a thirty-five dollar refund, she's going to another stylist, who has never done her hair before.  If I'm the client I'm not happy with the situation yet, if i'm the stylist who did her hair I'm not happy because I wasn't given the chance to  rectify the situation, if I'm the new stylist that will be doing this ladies hair, good luck, I better do a good job since I've earned thirty-five dollars sight onseen.  I can really just see this benifiting the owner, but I think Pixiechick seems to have a great idea, and I totally agree that if she feels that things ended up alright than she probably should let this one go, however if this is not the last she hears about this, or if this happens again I myself would speak up.
I think this is a rational point of view, not pessimistic or jumping to conclusions.
Misty-I think that the client was to either pay the stylist for her second updo that she got done at a discount price, or she was to get the service done free by Pixie, to give another stylist Pixies old monies, seems almost like it could potentially even cause a rift between employees if they were not as level headed as Pixiechick seems to be.

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:26:35 PM

I love my brides. Hundreds of up do's have come through these hands. I had one bridezilla in 20 years and I found out after it was because of my manager messing up her schedule. She was getting married at 5 pm, and the owner made her come in at 8 am. She chose not to have her make up done, and wasn't too excited in the chair. She was pleasant enough with me but something just wasn't right about her mood. I felt it. I did get paid.

I wish my x boss did exactly what your boss does. 8 out of 10 bridal parties I found myself in the back room fixing my co-workers work. I didn't feel I should eat that time or that extra work without compensation, and I don't feel the stylist who repeatedly did unsatisfactory work deserved what she earned.

I do not feel your boss should have taken the redo out of you. She decided it wasn't her. She changed her mind in other words. Not that it was bad work, not that it wasn't beautiful, not that you didn't take the time to appease her. I don't think changing your mind qualifies for a refund.

And now.. all of it is past, cannot be changed, chalk it up as a lesson and fret no more about it. Try to avoid letting it happen again. Chin up!

AMirage

misty
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 9:13:26 PM

(She phoned when she got home and said she felt it wasn't "her" could she come back and have someone else wash and blowdry with curls. I'm assuming she was uncomfortable coming back to see me cause she felt bad. )

Val-Pixie clearly stated that the client was "uncomfortable" coming back to see her.  Thus she saw another stylist to re-do it.   THe owner didn't take the monies from Pixie for his pocket-he took it out to pay the other stylist.  You are right about one thing though Val,  Pixie seems to be very level headed, I hope her employer recognizes that!

Now Val, I have a question for you.  Hypathetically speaking.....A client calls and is unhappy with a color service.   Needs to have it redone-going out of town on say Monday....asks for the owner to re-do it.  The owner comes in on Sunday-salon closed- and does a corrective color.  Client is happy.  How should the owner pay the original stylist for a color that had to be re-done by the owner?    (at the clients request.)

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 7:03:43 AM
I feel that the owner should get the money because she fixed the hair, the owner fixed the hair her or hiself and the client we know is now happy.
In the previous situation, the client had not been to the stylist yet, therefore, we were giving her monies that were already in the salon cache for work that she had not done yet.
Also I think the salon owner is in a bit of a different posistion, I would worry if I were a owner that if I were too transfer monies from one stylist to another that it could cause a rivalry between the staff or hard feelings, wheras, if the boss goes ahead and does the service than I think it is a different dynamic.
I will add though that at any salon I've worked at if an owner has to redo the service, she lets the stylist keep the money, as the owner is a teacher and is generally assumed to be more well off than the staff.  My experiance with redos has been that either the client gets a refund and no one gets the money, or the money still belongs to the original stylist who did that client and the client gets a redo for free.

misty
Bronze Member

A different dynamic?
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 7:16:35 AM

Well the owner is a hairstylist-just like all the rest of them.   Why would you get mad about the money being handed to another stylist, but not get upset about it being handed to the owner??  A hairstylist is a hairstylist.       Bob the owner/hairstylist, Pixie the hairstylist, and Vally the hairstylist.   Betty is not happy with the job that Pixie did.  She asked Bob the owner/stylist if he can re-do it.  Bob is to busy.   She then asks if Vally can do it.  Same service-costing $20.    -Pixie did the service originally.   She has the $20 on her book.   The client asked for you to do it-you did it.  Pixie is keeping the $20 on her book.    Sorry about your luck, Vally.     You have just done Betty for nothing!  Better luck tomorrow!  

Rivalry between staff-hard feelings???   How do you suppose Vally feels now?????

pixiechick101

Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 9:05:25 AM
Ok so I now see that everyone has different perspectives on this issue and I guess it is an issue that everyone deals with but nobody truely knows the proper proceedures. Well, we have to all realize that every single situation is unique and I guess we have to just assess the situation and go with the flow.
I have decided now since I didn't have an opportunity to discuss this with my boss on saturday as we were all busy and then he left, that I will talk to him on tueday. I am not going to let it go. I feel that I need to stand up for myself, give him my side of the story and discuss the " policies " as they are. That being said I will not ask for the money back and I will take it as a learning experience but I refuse to allow myself to be walked on.
I am a team player and I don't want stylist #2 to be left hanging as she also performed the service but I feel my boss should have addressed the situation at hand and discussed it with me at the time. I feel he should have also spoken with the client. Instead he just brushed it off.
All of this happened at the end of my day and when the client had come back I was getting ready to leave. I was unaware that she even called and so when she approached me and said " I'm sorry it just wasn't "me"." I said " oh, hey, no worries," with a smile on my face. But I was truely caught off guard. Then on my way out, I asked the receptionist to get the boss to call my cell to discuss the situation when he was finished with his client. ( I'm not into making a scene in front of clients ) and fifteen minutes later the receptionist called me and said " he just said take the money from you" and wouldn't even talk to me about it.
So you see all, I am trying to be a pro about this but its a difficult situation that doesn't necessarily have a specific solution.
Lastly, Russ- Not every stylist in the industry makes thousands of dollars and while 35 dollars may seem like pocket change to some, it may seem like a brick of gold to others. It is not a pennywise and dollar foolish attitude. If the boss really cared about the specific client and the thousands of dollars she could potentially be bringing in, don't you think he should have made a bit of effort to smooth things over with her? Or offer a voucher to come back for a complimentary treatment or something.

in2msclkw

lesson learned
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 2:51:38 PM
Its hard to have one right answer to this problem but If the client requested it be done by someone else instead of who did it before the client felt bad and didnt want to hurt your feelings. Face it You would have felt alkward on both partys. So the manager had to make the customer happy most important thing to member is the customer. Second the stylist that redone it needed to be payed why should they have to do it for free. Granted it cost you 35.00 at least you still got 45.00 for your work. So you didnt lose the whole $80.00. Now what I think what should of happend is the Manager providing he was a hairstylist too and available should have redone it  Most managers would have. I have done it many times over the years for salons that I have managed. I know what its like to have a ticket cut when you worked so hard on it and you really where counting on that in your pay check. Its part of the job