Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Wanting highlights retouched
Posted By:
Posted By:pokepres on: 4/26/2007 1:16:05 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Wanting highlights retouched
pokepres

Wanting highlights retouched
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:16:05 PM
I recently gained a client that moved to the area. She says all she ever gets is highlights, and she gets them retouched every 4 weeks. So, I retouched her highlights. But, how am i going to do that every 4 weeks? She was getting that done at her old salon and wants the same thing. Not pulled thru to the ends, just touched up at the roots, i feel that I am going to have a hard time retouching them when she comes back in 4 weeks, will there be enough regrowth to weave after 4 weeks and not hit the old highlights? I'm also afraid of it looking uneven because you can't pluck out every single highlight you did last time. HELP

russnyc
Platinum Member

retouched
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 6:02:32 AM
This is tricky because her idea of a retouch may not be yours. This sounds suspiciously like a baliage rather than a full highlight using foil. A good example of how this would look is former Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's hair. She would have it done every 10th day. Bleach is used, not highlift, and it's painted on in fine, blurry sections, not foiled. Use google images to see her hair. A pale toner is washed through after to blend colors.

I would go back and check and see how the pattern is done if it is foil. Here are some tips;

1. NO client needs a 4 week highlight service. Learn how to "bump" the base, lifting the root color a shade and do this between highlight services to "blur" the regrowth. I do this a LOT. Each color line has a different method to do this, search the forum.

2. Keep meticulous records. You need to do a partial, focusing only on the part and hairline. Alter your foil angle position when it becomes too hard to find old highlights, i.e. if you did it vertically last time, do it horizontally this time to guarantee even percentage.

3. Don't keep bringing hair to white blonde. I do this on every 3rd highlight session, not every time, only through the surface pieces that SHOW, NEVER the nape or back. Explain it is healthier for the hair to lighten to butter, not white tone. NEVER USE HEAT. it will BREAK.

4.Drop the strength of the chemical once you have attained the optimum result.

5. Avoid using toners on this type of client if at all possible. Use violet shampoo twice at the sink instead. If you have to tone, use palest violet mixed with a hint of N or G if there are white pieces you need to balance. This is to prevent it from becoming too ashen. Pay close attention to avoid recoloring the ends if her hair is long.

ASK ASK ASK plenty of what I call forensic hair questions so you can tell how the last stylist achieved it. If you are uncomfortable with a technique, guess what? YOU NEED to learn it! Take a class and do what you need to do to gain trust with this type of client.

These are very valuable clients, show that you deserve their trust and occasionally reward them with a gift so they don't stray.

pokepres

thx
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 12:21:05 PM
Thanks for the tips. I know for sure it wasn't a baliage, it was clearly foils, and she said they were foils because we acually talked about that, she was clear that she didnt want me to use wax paper but to use foils because of the ability to hold in the heat to lift. I was acually the 2nd person she had gone to since her move, the first place "bumped" her color, to blend the highlights and she hated it. She does normally get a partial and every now and then gets a full. I'll definately be alternating the foils when she come sin again, I feel thats all she needs, her hair was so heavily highlighted I left quite a bit untouched that I assume I will touch up next time

russnyc
Platinum Member

Advice
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 4:03:14 AM
If this is the way she wants it, you need to figure out percentages all over the head, and write them down. Then section the hair so that you can do the same percentage every time without any spaces. When I worked for Aveda, they would note each section - how many rows and pieces highlighted in each row.

The best advice I can give you is not to paint yourself into a corner, as with any and all color services I do, I always give myself enough wiggle room for the next visit.

* I have a single process 1n client that literally comes in every 6th day for her retouch. She GOES THROUGH IT if she sees even one stray grey when we're done. She also GOES THROUGH IT if there's any staining! She had me cleaning her hairline for over 30 minutes several months ago!

What I learned from her is that she has an EXPECTATION. It is up to you to meet or exceed that expectation to keep her on as a client. It is important to quickly step in line to her mindset, yet also TELL HER what is reasonable and what to expect so that there are no surprises later. When it came time to do her hair again, I covered her ears with waterproof tape so they wouldn't stain. I saved her hairline for last, and literally went over it millimeter by millimeter. Right away, she was different because she knew I was anticipating her needs. She either pays me the $120 every 6th day, or someone else if she's not happy. Money isn't the concern, it's the ATTENTION. All the other stylists think she's a hassle, but she's one of my most profitable clients right now ($120 X 52 weeks? Do the math!)

Do the same for your client, anticipate how you are going to do it, experiment with staff or on other clients, and whenshe comes in again you will have the mindframe and skill set to accomplish it.

The future of hairdressing and being able to charge more for your services is all about DETAIL, PRECISION, and ATTENTION.

Perhaps it has always been this way, but I'm finding that as more trends become mainstream, we need to heighten our attention to the smallest of details and really mirror what the client wants.

SouthernGuy
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:14:46 PM