Posted By:
Posted By:shorthairedgirl on: 5/5/2007 7:02:12 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: ashamed and heartbroken
shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

ashamed and heartbroken
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2007 7:02:12 PM

in the beginning of April i was terminated from my job. alot of you know me and know that i worked for one of the most well known crumiest chain salons in the industry, the only thing they had going for them were their medical. and ofcourse even though it was and still is a craphole it was incredibly stressful.  My area supervisor hated me(don't ask me why) i was always respectful and did the very best by every customer that i could do. but at any rate i guess they just wanted to  get rid of me every time i turned around my AS was writing me up for something and told me that i had to sign them otherwise she would take that as my resignation.  less than a month after that i was fired because my AS said that a man called and said that i gave him an uneven haircut. i was and still am completely devastated after almost four years.  I knew this woman never liked me but i always did the very best that i could do.  Well  i found a new job and the girls are nice and the owner is a dream who wants to teach me alot of stuff,which is wonderful. unfortunately its of course just commission like most private salons in NJ with ofcourse no medical. i had some client's numbers who've said that they would follow me to the end of the earth which is nice now i only need about 998 more of those kind of people. today was my first day and i only had one haircut. in eight hours! maybe i just can't get use to it cause i'm use to doing like 20 haircuts in one day.  i don't know how i am going to survive. she said that she wanted me full time but i don't get it. i guess i am still so disapointed. i thought let me take this job because after three weeks i just couldn't  stay home anymore. my heart is broken, i've never really made any money in this business and i am becoming deathly afraid that i never will. and now i have to worry about medical and a car payment. i'm so afraid that i will probably have to leave this business but i don't even know how to do anything else.  My parents and all my friends keep telling me to take it easy but i can't its just not in my nature. my one friend  when i told her what happened she said Thank God! this is the best thing thats ever happened to you otherwise you would have never left that dump! i just wish i felt that way. i'm heart broken thats it.

also i guess i should mention that this really is a great salon the kind i've always dreamed about working in and my new boss says not to worry that i will get built up because they just keep getting busier and busier as they are a relatively new salon(less than three years old).

Lily 

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 4:36:52 AM

Very sorry to hear, Lily ...

Two things I can offer:

1) You definitely don't need to work in an environment of stress, and conflict.  Not good for your career, in any case!

2) Perhaps your parents, being so supportive, can give you a hand, as you re-establish yourself in this new salon?  If the owner feels you will be fine, in short order, then getting some assitance from your parents, may be the very best thing to do.

Best of luck!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 4:53:56 AM
Hi

First, take a deep breath! LOL

The best thing that ever happened to me 20 years ago was that I got fired. The boss hated me at a restaurant and was always trying to find a reason to let me go. When I didn't have a job, I thought, OK, NOW I will find a career where it is not as easy to fire me, and I wanted to do something that had to do with art. I enrolled into hair school. I would love to go back and thank that woman for firing me...

First, even though you may not be busy right now, you eventually will be. Second, get the word out. Bring your cards wherever you go.

Specialize in a little bit of everything, you have to WANT to be busy. Do some free work on the side, take your day off to go promote yourself, do whatever you need to do to get where you need to go.

Keep immaculate records to start, offer promotions, network with people outside the industry. Look on these forums for good strategy.

Hone your work. Someone taught me long ago to develop my own system of cutting so that I can always find the guide, even if I have to step away from the client.

Pay extreme attention to detail. Get your eyes checked every year even though they seem fine. Go out and find a gym and work some of your stress off. Read some motivational books.

Whatever you do; put the past in the past. Let it go and move on. The very best thing you can do right now is love yourself, move on, and move up.

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 6:34:53 AM

Well said russ.... I second that!

AMirage

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

thankyou
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 8:09:05 AM

thank you so much to all of you these past few weeks have just been  a nightmare for me.  I did nothing that warranted termination.  I know your right i probably am better off being away from this  woman who is just  absolutely so cruel and hateful.

Lily 

HairJunkie

Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 6:33:43 PM

RussNYC-

You give such wonderful guidance.  I am in desperate need of a professional!!!!

-Hairjunkie

hairchic
Silver Member

chin up
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 4:01:52 AM

it's ok sweetie. it's totally ok to mourn the loss of a job. I was in the identical situation. It took appx 6 months to be thrilled to have been let go. The old place was holding me back.

I know money/medical is a concern. If you truly need to get a little part time job (waitressing) in the interim. IT will get better. You will be successful. Believe it and it will happen.

My new boss turned me onto Michael Cole (A Little Off the Top) It totally changed my life. Check it out. It will improve your business, your attitude, your business practices, your entire way of thinking. I still have down days, (few clients, little money etc) I take a breath and flip the book open and do what he suggests to take up my time between clients.

Also, if you visit say a coffee shop regularly, give the counter people BIG discounts as they will be able to feed you clients. They see a ton of people every day and if they look great it will create referrals.

Good Luck and chin up.

Carpe Diem

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 4:54:52 PM

thank you Hairchic you wont believe this but i have that book already and in the process of reading. thankyou for all the wonderful advice and i am starting to feel better about this whole thing. after all my area supervisor was a very cruel person and i really didn't need the stress. i'm really beginning to think it was for the best.

Lily 

sheargenius

Turn that frown upside down
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 5:00:56 PM
I know I'm new here, but I really feel compelled to give a little advice....hope ya don't mind.
I've been in the business (outside of school) for a little over 2 years now. While in school, I worked for a department store salon as a receptionist and HATED it...I can't believe I ever thought I wanted to do hair there...yes its good money and benefits, but the education was NOT good!
Here are a few good things to focus on, and this is experience talking. Being in a salon where the owner is actively involved is the BEST place to be. She will appreciate ALL of her employees and do what she can to help them. She will always be there to give you advice, listen to your suggestions, and even learn from YOU. A good salon owner is by no means afraid of new things or challenges and will always be by your side to help you. The lady I work for is amazing. She is a mother, business owner, wife, and hairstylist. Very busy, no doubt. But if I'm having a bad day, I can always go to her for an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on. Let her help you if you need it. She had to start from scratch, too, don't forget that.

Also, keep in mind that being in this new salon where the owner is eager to teach you things is and AWESOME thing! Learn EVERYTHING you can...never ever stop learning! If you have down time, go watch other girls working, see what you can pick up from them! Keep busy, the time will pass faster! When I started on the floor I was still assisting the owner, which was good because I would've been bored out of my mind sitting on my butt doing nothing. But in my time assisting, I learned SO much. Its a good thing to rewind and go back to the basics. That might be something everyone knows already, but that's something I always have to remind myself.
The advice that was given on keeping your business cards on you are such a good idea! I always have people asking me who does my hair and telling me how much they love it. That's them begging you to help them find someone new to do their hair. That person could be you! Also, like the previous comment, the coffee shop is a great place to make friends! Any local bars, restaurants, stores, or like banks are awesome places to get some clients and give them special discounts. Also, offer your repeat clients things like free conditioning treatments or even haircuts if they bring you new customers. I have gotten SO many new clients that way!
One other thing I'm able to do to keep busy is taking nail appointments. I'm not sure how the licensing is in NJ, but in OH I am licensed to do hair, skin and nails. See if you can get some training in those areas (if your salon has them) and pick up clients that way. Because of this I have gotten many new hair clients!
One last thing, if you're not asleep yet..haha....your salon owner said to be patient, because they keep getting busier and busier....if its a newer salon, it just takes time to get the word out. Our salon has been open almost 5 years, and after just 3, we moved to a space that was more than 3 times the size of our original space. It DOES happen...it just takes time. It sounds like your salon owner is a person who will keep doing what it takes to keep the salon busy, so that's a good sign!
Anyway, I wish you luck, and patience, and I know things will get better! Hope I don't sound like a know-it-all, I know I'm still a rookie in the industry, but I've seen alot and thought I could help! Keep chuggin away!! Don't give up!

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 5:15:18 PM
All good advice!

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 6:17:48 PM

sheargenius thanx! another piece of great advice!

Lily 

sheargenius

Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 7:10:44 PM
You're welcome. I really hope I helped, even a little bit!

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 7:30:20 PM

believe it or not Sheargenius u helped alot. and so did all of you. thanx u guys u are truly awesome!

Lily 

chelseamsu

Been there..
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 7:05:12 AM

shorthairedgirl

Best of luck to you. I can't add too much to the great advice that was already given but I can say I've been there and survived. I also worked at a crummy chain salon (maybe the same one:) and coudln't handle all the drama and immaturity and I quit.

It's taken me 2 years of work, but I am now starting my own salon. I've built a decent clientele and have a lot more interested people for when I open.

It'll take a little while but hang in there! Don't give up!