Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > dejected in school
Posted By:
Posted By:jenn_t on: 5/11/2007 1:15:02 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: dejected in school
jenn_t

dejected in school
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 1:15:02 PM
I have been in Cosmo school for about 3 months now. So far I really love it and am pleased with the progress I've made(I love cutting, I swear I could happily do it 24 hours a day). The problem is, many of my friends are hairdressers and to my surprise, are not being so supportive. Since I have started school have been subjected to an endless barrage of snarky comments and deliberate snubs. My feelings are very hurt. I mean, I look up to them. As close friends I would have thought they woud be flattered that I want them to share their expertise with me and that I seek their opinions. Apparently not. Everything I do gets ripped apart and made fun of. I feel like I'm in highschool again. I feel extremely dejected. Is this treatment what I have to look forward to for my beginning years in hairdressing?

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 5:49:32 PM

I am sorry your friends don't know the meaning of the word. Perhaps you might want to find some new friends. There is a big world out there full of them, who will be supportive, and will share their knowledge with you.

AMirage

russnyc
Platinum Member

Friends
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:17:48 AM
These don't sound like any friends I would want to hang out with all the time. Surround yourself with supportive people also, or try repositioning your friendship with them.

I would also take the time to be with several people in your school that are at the same level as you. You will need to lean on them (and the on you) for support to finish school. I had 2 friends that I really valued and they kept me going even when my hairdresser friends didn't. It has more to do with their own memories or stigma of hair school, nothing to do with what you are accomplishing.

You have the ability to make mistakes right now. School is about learning and development. It matters more what your teachers say about your work than your friends,because it lies the foundation for becoming a great hairdresser. Here's the catch- Whatever work that is produced in school ALWAYS belongs in a school, not a salon.

To keep snarkiness to a minimum, do this-

-Never compare your work to your friends.

-Spend time talking about your friend's OTHER interests that don't focus on hair.

Wait for them to ask about how school is going before delving into your day's itinerary.

If you focus more on what you like about your friends, you will see more of the same from them. If you are always seeing the bad things, that's all you're going to get. Be mindful that they've already gone through the trials and tribulations, and perhaps don't want to relive them. Maybe you won't want to either one day.

This doesn't mean that you can't be friends with them , it just means you have to approach things differently.

hues4you
Platinum Member

jenn_t
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:42:40 PM

Dear jenn_t

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  You have been offered some excellent advice already.  Networking here is a great source of positive feedback.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

carrotsrock

keep your chin up
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:09:37 AM
I know it is hard when people who are your friends make fun of or put down what your are doing.  Hair dressers seem to be a very competitive bunch....we All want to be the best.  So when it looks like someone is coming into our territory we get snippy.  When really what we should be doing it celebrating each other and our accomplishments.  School is about you....your time to learn all you can and to make your mistakes and to shine.  Don't let others take that away from you.