Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > highlift VS. bleach
Posted By:
Posted By:pokepres on: 5/29/2007 9:55:20 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: highlift VS. bleach
pokepres

highlift VS. bleach
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 9:55:20 PM
I was under the assumption that a highlift is less damaging than bleach. But, the more I talk to my manager and other stylist, they seem to be telling me a highlift is harsher than a bleach because they use double 40vol. I'm having a hard time understanding because if that is the case...what would be the point of a highlift? I thought a highlift was made as a bleach alternative so you don't have to damage your hair as much, especially if you only need to go up 4 levels instead of a bleaches typical 7...confused

KRAutin

highlift
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:52:08 PM
Highlift color is more gentle on the hair than bleach is. Unless the client just has fried hair that the cuticle is blown so wide open that nothing is good for it. Even though its double 40 it is less damaging! Do a strand test for yourself, its really the only way you'll know

pokepres

Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:19:05 PM
I've done it plenty of times, I always offer it as a bleach alternative...but I had a client who wanted a bit more contrast in her relaxed hair and i offered her a highlift and it damaged her a bit on the ends, and my manager told me to try bleach with 10vol because it isn't as harsh....and when i heard more than 1 stylist say that, it blew me away...i was always under the assumption highlift is gentler

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:34:27 AM
I think it is a mistake to think of "high lift" color, as a bleach alternative.  They are not equivalent.  High lift color series are designed to lift up to as many as 5 levels (almost 6 sometimes), while depositing color (although not much).  Bleach, depending on how it is mixed ... can lift up to 7 levels, but with no deposit.

If the result that you require, can be achieved using high lift color, then it is the preferred product ... better condition, and much more control.  However, in many cases, it will not produce sufficient lift for the desires result.  In these cases, bleach is the proper choice ... but requires more judgement (imho) for good results.  Additionally, toning may be required, when bleach is used ... some colorists always tone over bleach, to give a professional result.

One of the most common errors by colorists, is misjudging the power of high lift color.  Many times, bleach must be used to produce the proper foundation for toning.  It is often, the only way to get pretty blondes.

pokepres

Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 2:26:00 PM
yup

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 3:16:53 PM

Ok ... I think you did mis-inderstand.

Your question was "... is beach (with 10v) a gentler alternative to high lift?"  At least, that's what I read.

To me, the term "alternative" means suitable replacement.  Why else would it be offered as an alternative, unless it performed as well?  I mentioned that high lift is gentler (please re-read), and offers more control than bleach, but isn't as powerful ... so hardly an alternative.  If you want only a little lift, there is no point in using bleach with 10v, as it would be much more difficult to control the result.  I only use bleach when high-lift color will not do the job.  BTW ... that is most of the time, since 90% of my highlighting requires more lift than color can achieve.

Occassionally, I have had clients that requested "no bleach" ... but wanted a result that required bleach.  They were not properly educated by previous hairdressers, and I had to clarify the situation for them.  I'm not sure why any hairdresser would want their clients to think that bleach, in it's self, is bad. They are both tools (high lift & bleach) ... and must be used appropriately.

The only reason I mentioned toning, was because you mentioned high lift color ... which has a toning ability, while bleach doesn't.

I thought I was addressing your question ... if this doesn't do it, then I'm sorry.