Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Allergic to bleach! Now what?
Posted By:
Posted By:shearzen on: 6/20/2007 10:42:16 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Allergic to bleach! Now what?
shearzen

Allergic to bleach! Now what?
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:42:17 PM
after 19 yrs. of doing hair, I am now allergic to persulfate salts found in all bleaches. I am suddenly extremely sensititive to it and have developed asthma because of it. Am I the only one out here with this problem? My doctor says I need to switch careers. What the hell do I do?

hues4you
Platinum Member

shearzen
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:48:29 AM

Dear shearzen

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  How did they determine it was persulfate salts?  I think we all need to be careful especially when you use a lot of color and/or bleach.  You need great ventation in your dispensary - HEPA air filters - and where you work.  I have had a scare with chemcial pneumonia before and I thought I was going to have to stop doing hair.  Working with de-dusted bleach helps greatly- just think every time you mix - all those little particles stirring in the air and you inhale some of these along with the fumes.  You can try some of the new ammonia free bleaches or highlighting systems.  Or you could wear a mask as a last resort.  Please explain how they pin pointed the specific allergy.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

princessfairy

have you tried....
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 7:31:38 PM
first just let me say how sorry i am to hear this, that is just awful. i dont know if this would be any help, but have you tied a clay bleach? there is no dust so you wont breath it in and just try using gloves so you wont get it on your skin. loreal professionnel makes one called platinium.  i hope that is of some help to you.
Amberella

moverandshaker

allergic to bleach
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:18:27 PM
have you tried CHI blondest blonde. All of Farouk systems products are ammonia free. It is probably the ingredient that you are allergic to. Farouk systems entire company is  ammonia free and environmentally friendly.  

shearzen

Persulfate salts allergy
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:54:31 PM
I have tried Platinium bleach. Yes, it is dust free however it contains persulfate salts. My allergy to sulfates was confirmed recently (in May) due to a bad reaction I had to an antibiotic containing sulfameth. Also, once I eliminated bleach weaves from my work routine I have had fewer asthma attacks. I did get a full skin test done from my allergist to find out what I am allergic to back in 2007. He laughed because there wasn't one thing I tested positive for. So we both assumed it had to be the bleach. The doctor says there is no way of testing me on if I'm allergic to the bleach I use in the salon. Go figure. Since then, I have become alot more sensitive to it as well as other things, like cigarette smoke. It sucks but, what am I going to do? Quit hair? I don't think so. Not in this economy crisis! I'm just happy I have a trade, one that people need!!!

Caroline

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 7:05:55 PM

try boosting your immune system with echinacea and golden seal, and if you smoke, by all means stop!the less toxins you expect your body to deal with, the better you will be.

try to improve the fresh air intake and exhaust system in your work area, even something as simple as an air purifier will help clean up the toxins in your environment. lower the chair, so the clients head (and the fumes) is farther away from your face.

use highlift color to do the highlighting, or an oil bleach that is less dusty, mixed in a bottle, then poured into a bowl.born blonde is a good one.and last but not least, use gloves! the black matador ones are snug enough to do a foiling with.

hope you get your allergies under control!!!be well!