Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > A slow building process
Posted By:
Posted By:aliciamd84 on: 6/26/2007 5:51:42 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: A slow building process
aliciamd84

A slow building process
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:51:42 PM

I've only been in the industry a year or so, but I'm finding it hard to build a clientele. Everyone I have talked to say it takes several years and the only way to really build is from referals. There has got to be a way to speed things along. Does anyone have advice or suggestions?

hairchic
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:18:52 AM
there are virtually thousands of posts in the archives that address this very subject. You can use these boards as a true resource for info. I would review prior posts and see which idea fits you best and feels most comfortable first... try it for 30 days! You will gain clients from it, but may get bored or not see enough results, move on to another idea that is not so comfortable for you. Think outside the box, take risks and believe in yourself and your skills. It does take a few years to build a consistent clientlele don't be discouraged. Love what you do and others will too!
Carpe Diem

hues4you
Platinum Member

aliciamd84
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:37:15 PM

Dear aliciamd84

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

pokepres

Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:53:50 PM
you must must must be in a high traffic salon...are you? I wasted a year of my career in a very slow salon and gained maybe 2 clients from it because of how INCREDIBLY slow the salon was...I was made to think EVERY salon was just as slow.

russnyc
Platinum Member

Whole Package
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:19:02 PM
Hi

You have to find a street-level salon that is very direct and clearcut about the audience they serve. There can be no pandering with prices, i.e, you CANNOT have $35 and $135 haircuts under the same roof.

High end shops take twice as long, discount shops you will loose a chunk of clients every time you do an increase.

The most important thing is consistency. If your salon's message/reputation/vibe is constantly changing or your boss doesn't have clear goals and the deep pockets necessary to continue without changing plans, find a new shop right away.

It isn't the newest or sleekest salons that do all the business, believe it or not, a lot of people are intimidated by them, you make more money in a salon that isn't creme de la creme.

Really plan on sticking with a place for 5 years and have a solid referral program and ask each and every one of your clients for a referral, these referrals are money in the bank and so much easier than dealing with strangers.

Tat2dluvchylde

Comp card
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:40:45 PM

My salon does not advertise.

We have complimentary haircut cards that we hand out to anyone whose hair we would like to cut. I personally hand them out at doctor's offices, the post office, the nurses station at the hospital, and to anyone I think will look great with my art on their head.

Presto chango, my business has almost tripled in 3 months time!

I have read that you retain 25% from this practice but I can tell you that not only have most of the comp haircuts come back and paid for their haircut, they have also booked color and brought along friends.

Some owners may frown upon this practice because they are not making any money off of their employee in the short run but in the long run it really does pay off.

Ask yourself this? Would you rather have the chair busy or would you rather have a perspective client looking into an empty salon?