Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > My First Month Behind the Chair
Posted By:
Posted By:seurich on: 7/5/2007 4:01:05 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: My First Month Behind the Chair
seurich

My First Month Behind the Chair
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 4:01:05 AM
After a month of interviewing, I accepted employment as a stylist at a high end salon not too far from my home.  I have just completed my first month, and I am having a lot of anxiety.  As I start promoting myself, I have worked on several walkins, and have a few good days, but more bad days, making stupid mistakes.  The stylists I work with are so very talented, and I know I cannot compare myself to them, but it is so very discouraging to be a beginner in a salon trying to measure up to the reputation of the stylists.  I am not listed as a "junior stylist" or "new talent".......so, when I get a walkin, they do not know I am new...........I know that there is a learning curve..............and that you learn from mistakes, which I have....but I don't know if I can handle too many more "bad days"..........I struggle with the lack of self confidence anyway, so I wonder if this is the right place for me.........sometimes I feel like if I were at a chain salon to start out that the expectations would be lower, therefore relieving some of my presser..............any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated....

sandraravens

right out of school
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 5:31:47 PM
Are you right out of school or have you been doing hair.  If this is a high end salon they should be putting you through a training program and giving you the tools and tips to build your business.  Going to a chain salon will not help your skills.  You will be doing the same thing everyday with no chance to grow.  It will be volume over quality.  If this salon is not willing to put you through training I suggest you go to a salon where they will invest in your future.  Hope this helps.  I am a salon owner and I would never throw someone out on the floor to fend for themselves.

pokepres

seurich
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 4:20:30 AM
a very similar thing happened to myself! I started at a very high end salon...went thru an entire training program which was lousy and only ended up learning an amazing blowdry and a few cutting tips and was then put on the floor and expected to perform right next to a woman who had been doing hair for 35 years, had over 400 clients, and was always being told how amazing she was so, when my client was in the chair, you could tell they just wished they were with her instead of me! I moved to another salon because of the lack of clients that acually came to the salon because of the price and went to a medium scale salon and it was the best choice of my life. Their expectations were much much more realistic! Everyone LOVES their hair and I couldn't be happier. Now, I have the highest rebooking in the entire salon of 20 stylists! What kind of mistakes are you making? maybe we can give you tip on quick fixes!