Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Stealing Boss
Posted By:
Posted By:AnwahS on: 7/12/2007 9:27:30 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Stealing Boss
AnwahS

Stealing Boss
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:27:30 AM
Hi my name is Shawna and I am in need of some advice. I work for my aunt ( I know I know, working with family isnt great) but the problem is that I dont think she thinks I'm good enough or give off the image that she wants me to. It seems like she competes with me. When I was in school, me and one of my best friends were considered " the best" we didn't say it. Our teachers did. and other students always came to us for help. My aunt knew that it was like that when I was in school and I think she thinks that it made me irrogant and cocking, but Im not. Im really unsure about my skills sometimes I just dont portray that. I try to do the best that I can, and I dont feel cocky at all. but anyways. It always seems that when a new client comes in to the salon , my aunt goes right up to them and tells them how great our other stylist is and then barely mentions me. I know I'm good, but I'm not cocky about it and I feel like its her way of belittling me ( something you wouldn't expect from family) But the issue at hand is that I want to start doing my own marketing ( other than just passing out cards here and there) but Im afraid that my aunt might try to either steal clients away or give them to the other stylist because I am only there part time. How do I do my marketing with the fear that my aunt might persuade them to do something else??

pokepres

Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:13:55 PM
i've been in a similar situation and the only way it got solved was when i left the salon

AnwahS

In process
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:54:43 PM
 Yeah I was afraid that that was going to be the only thing that I could do. I am in the process of scoping out other salons. But like I said Im not cocky and Im actually really scared about going to another place and having people size me up. Ive been out of school for a year now, so at least I'm not fresh, but the face the truth this industry isnt necessarily the nicest group of people when it comes to coworkers.