Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > the only esthy
Posted By:
Posted By:aliciakelly on: 7/18/2007 9:49:57 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: the only esthy
aliciakelly

the only esthy
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:49:57 PM

I got my esthy license 7 years ago to do makeup and facials - waxing wasn't my strength. With enough practice and some classes, I've gotten to be pretty good. I was working at a start-up salon for the last year and a half. When I started, I was only working on Sundays, but eventually the other esthy quit, and I worked all 6 days. In April, I thought it would be fair for me to work only 5 days, but the owners thought otherwise. I waited for them to hire someone else like they promised so I could be part-time, but finally, I had to make them fire me. But in doing so, I also lost a lot of clients. Now I'm working at a full service salon as the only esthy again. While its great because any client who wants to be waxed goes to me, this salon A) isn't very busy - there are only 5 other stylists out of 18 chairs, B) I'm the only "employee" because I'm commission, everyone else is rental, and C) the stylists don't actually like each other. Oh yeah, and I'm the youngest by 14 years! I have never worked in a place where people don't care about each other. And today the owner said I have too much attitude, her clients have said that I was rude to them, and she doesn't think I will be there next week! AAHHHHH! How should I be taking this?!? I don't have enough clientele to be rental anywhere yet, so I thought this would be the best way to build my business. I have a client who keeps trying to find other salons for me, and said I should work out of my house so I can keep my money. But thats not progress.  I know it takes some time for clients and stylists to get to know you, so its gratifying to finally find a place where I can keep what belongs to me, but I hope I'm not wasting my time here. 

Thanks for letting me vent!