Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > New person dilema
Posted By:
Posted By:pokepres on: 8/24/2007 12:01:11 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: New person dilema
pokepres

New person dilema
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 12:01:12 PM
So, I've been at my salon about 6 months. I am the youngest of 20 stylists. I can understand that when a young person comes into a new salon of seasoned stylists, there can be some issues. My main problem is, recently, they have hired a new stylist and she has been working there about a month. I do extremely well at this salon, I have the highest rebook rate and have accomplished a few awards from the salon in the 6 months I've been there. I would say about 70% of my clients are referrals already and $80 of my entire business is color. Now, this new person who has been there 1 month out of my 6 now suddenly has a problem with me doing color. She feels SHE deserves color and even though most of my work is requests for me, she feels it is unfair that I do so much and is letting our receptionists know exactly how she feels. The 6 months I have been there I did not turn down a single client and until about 2 weeks ago, had shown up to every shift, and never left early...even when sick. This new person has called in sick 2 time out of the month she has been here and I always hear her complaining when she has to do a client. I don't this that it is fair for her to be complaining about my work when she doesn't even want to work herself. She does not know that I know she's been complaining and I like to be as un-confrontational as possible...unlike some hairdressers LOL. I want to just ignore the situation and go about my business the best I can, but I'm afraid the constant harrassment at the front desk will change things...any advice would be appreciated.

ron

Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 2:50:30 PM
Sounds like the two of you need a meeting with the owner and or manager and clear the air, before the mole hill becomes a mountain and that mountain erupts.

hues4you
Platinum Member

pokepres
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 3:24:03 PM

Dear pokepres

Just a note:  average people will never understand above average people.  Wanna know why?  Because you make them look bad.  Go to your job, do the best you can do, keep getting those referrals and do not worry about this other person.  You are your only concern.  They say cream will float to the top.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

pokepres

hues
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:43:16 PM
thanks, that was an awesome reply..made me feel alot better!

hues4you
Platinum Member

pokepres
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 11:04:41 AM

you are welcome :)

Cindy

russnyc
Platinum Member

I agree with Cindy
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 5:50:50 PM
I had a similar situation with the desk, and found people "floating" off my schedule and onto someone else's.

Cindy is right about ignoring it, but take one more step, and either rebook them at checkout, or make sure every client you do has your schedule, and say

"If you, or (new referral's name) have ANY problem booking your appointments with me, please ask to either speak to me directly or ask to leave a message and i"ll get right back to you"

This will insulate you from any of her shenanigans.. but make sure you've mentioned this drama to your manager as well.

hues4you
Platinum Member

front desk
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:18:32 AM

Thanks RussNYC.  I have a problem with stylist trying to get on the good side of the recpt to make sure their books are padded.  I have always felt like they were employeed to book appts and to service the clients professionally.  If I felt like in the past, that if my clients were saying I can not get in with you because you are booked - I would go talk to the recpt/s.  A lot of time in the computer booking software they will do a search for an opening - but it is looking for like a hour and 1/2 spot.  It will not book in the processing time.  If you are a really busy stylist - they must go day by day on you - and pop these appts in during down times - and many are too lazy to do this.  It seems like it is easier to say she is booked for 3 weeks, however, I can get you in with so and so tomorrow.  Asking for notes to taken for those they can not find a space for is a great idea if they will be given to you.  I have had to go as far as give out my cell phone # if they are compaining about getting in.  At some point, a talk with a salon owner may help you.  I actually had to leave the salon I was at for like 16 years due to these kind of problems.

As far as a fellow stylist goes, you are not responsible for her growth.  You are only responsible for you.   Do not get involved in this nonsense.  If the stylist approaches you and says something like I wish I was booked like you, can you give me some advice - by all means share how to be more of a success.  Nobody ever said you have to be best friends with your co-workers - your main concern is servicing your customers.  But of course they have to be able to get in in order for this to happen.  Good luck to you.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator