Posted By:
Posted By:Tat2dchik on: 9/7/2007 3:31:24 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Having difficulty bouncing back
Tat2dchik

Having difficulty bouncing back
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2007 3:31:24 AM

Hi Everyone ~

This has been the absolute worst year of my career in the industry. At 42 years old and after being in the business over 25 years, I got fired for the first time in my entire life. Not just once, but TWICE in less than 6 months.

After 5 years working for what I thought was a great salon, I was fired without notice or warning for the following reasons:

1. I did not fit the "image" the salon was trying to project to their client base.

2. A small group of stylists there threatened to quit if I wasn't fired and the owner felt she couldn't risk a walkout in case they weren't bluffing.

3. My personality was too intense.

4. I was "too good" "spinning my wheels" "too creative" (Yes, that really was said as a reason...my "skills" were causing strife because the other stylists felt I thought I was better than they were)

5. I did not make enough of an effort to connect on a deeper level with my co-workers (the example they gave: I would read a book while on my breaks rather than socializing with the team in the breakroom)

6. According to feng shui, I was the only "fire" in the salon, thus causing imbalanced energy (can you believe it???)

Ok, so I leave peacefully, but with a broken heart because I thought I was at least respected. I'm not saying I was or am perfect...I can be blunt and somewhat self-promoting, and I am extremely focused  and intense while at work. Anyway, I went to a salon on the other side of town. And oh my goodness, what a hellhole. But I figured I'd tough it out while I looked into opening my own salon. Well, the owner found out I was doing this, and because he was terrified of a walkout, he fired me. Even though I offered to sign a paper stating I would not offer jobs to any of his employees.

2 moves in less than 6 months did not make my clients happy. I lost quite a few. Now I am in a salon that I like, even though it's far from being what I'm used to (spoiled by). Problem is, all these changes have hurt my finances tremendously, put a real damper on my confidence and creativity, and I live in constant fear of being shafted again. Has anyone out there been through anything like this? How did you deal with it? I really need a word of encouragement....

hues4you
Platinum Member

Tat2dchik
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2007 12:49:58 PM

Dear Tat2dchik-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Wow, I can understand how you would feel a bit devestated.  But, keep in mind you do not want to be at a salon you do not fit.  I think opening your own salon is a great idea, but this is information you need to keep to yourself.  Now, pick yourself up, and move forward - you will build again quickly because of your experience.  Sometimes, when you move a lot, you do loose business, but the clients may return after they have tried someone else.  Much success to you at the new salon.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

russnyc
Platinum Member

Everything will be OK
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 5:51:29 AM
I have had dark moments in my career too, where things were uncertain and my finances were questionable.

Take the time to understand that there is almost NEVER a good reason why a stylist leaves a salon-

Goes to another salon
Fired
Salon Closes

Retires?

One important part of the balance you are seeking is to understand the perception of creation AND destruction, i.e, like the God Shiva; there is no room in your reality to create a better situation until the past reality has been completely destroyed. In order to reinvent yourself, you should sort of embrace (for lack of a better word?) destruction because it brings about a renewal process. When I say destruction, it means letting go and rebuilding, not looking back, and moving on with ambition, not regret... destroying every ill thought, dead end, misconnect, and ambiguity of your old job.

It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing! You just need to look out the other end of perspective, and TRUST what your inner voice says. If you can't hear it, you need to take the time to still your mind and listen closer.

Did you really want to keep banging your head trying to fit in where you are not appreciated?

There are also unspoken reasons why you didn't fit into the salon, and you need to come to terms with letting go of all the drama so that a new situation can present itself. I think a lot of the new age mumbo jumbo was sort of a smoke screen to blanket a lot of insecurity. Sometimes the big fish in the salon need more water to swim in and to make bigger waves!
LOL

On that note, here's the wiki entry for Shiva

http://nostalgia.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva

Good Luck on your endeavors! BTW, when you have buckled into your new salon for a couple of months, write a sincere postcard and send it out to all of your clientele, I'm sure they will come back once you've found yourself!

I promise that you will look back six months from now and completely understand the concept, just put your best warrior foot forward :o)

2funkyforyou

what to do!!!!!!!
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:03:04 PM
i have a little problem, i have been working at a salon for sometime now,i enjoy working there but my boss is not the nicest person ,she yells and  is not a big people person. i work very hard and always try my best at my job,but sometiimes it is not enough for her..my problem is she has hired this fab new stylist and she gives him all the clients all the time, i have to run to the phone, because if i dont get a chance to answer it the new stylist takes the client.and my boss does the same thing all the clients go to him. she even tells my clients that they should give him a try.(right in front of me)i am very stressed about all this i just wonder if once the newnest wear off it will be back to norm .any advise!!!!!!!

Cathy

older clientel
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 8:16:48 AM

russnyc
Platinum Member

Seniors
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 9:14:12 AM
The senior's money is just as green as everyone else's. If your boss is encouraging that sort of snide behavior, you need to pull her aside and tell her you don't appreciate it.

Everyone grows old. It is my opinion that 80 percent of stylists today don't know how to handle the demands of aging clientele, and that the baby boomers are not going to age gracefully like the generations before them!

Take a class in hair restoration, makeup for older skin, and encourage the business INSIDE your client base, mine the gold that is already withing your reach.

I would love to say I'm so busy I cannot do walk in business. Figure a way to do more, let assistants apply color at the root, or predrying hair for you.

Honestly is sounds like you are becoming resentful of the way you are being treated but are unsure how to break out on your own. If you never make the move, how will you ever know?

DIVINE ONE

HELP
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 8:27:15 PM

i am a booth renter and have been with the same owner for the past six years.  there is change coming - salon is moving and is going to commission only.  i was offered 60/40 no benefits and thats it, cannot work more than 32 hours and will find out the rest in the next coming week  (is that cause of required state health insurance)? 

I have a pretty good set of clients i do color and highlites, fusion, relaxers(sodium), perms and marcel flatironing... so my clientele is versatile  so why am i worried...

just want to make the right decision on where to go, or should i  go commission, i have been searching for a booth and weighing my options on commission  still undecided 

here in AZ

americansalon1

this is for 2funky4u
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 5:51:00 AM

girl, let me tell you i was in the same boat about two and a half years ago. My boss was horrible I never could do enough to please her evern though i was the one that got movie ads for the salon and tv circute ads for the salon ect. and then one day (i can't even tell you what it was about now) she started yelling at me on the phone and i just snapped. In thirteen years in this business i have never just walked out of my job, but i couldn't take it anymore. i was very scared of what i was gonna do. (i have kids) I look back now though and am secretly thankful to her because i left there that afternoon and had my own little salon up and running in two weeks. (not with out drama from ex boss though ie hired a lawyer ect.) AND NOW I am in the prosess of relocating and expanding my business for 238 sqft to 900sqft with other stylist renting from me. So in other words maybe you need to listen to the real message and have confidence in the unknown. Best of luck and keep me informed.

www.americansnipsntips.com

americansalon1

My you concure all your fears to come out gloriously on the other side.

hues4you
Platinum Member

americansalon1
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 4:13:41 PM
Dear

americansalon1

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator