Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > When should you let a client go
Posted By:
Posted By:fallene on: 9/23/2007 11:26:35 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: When should you let a client go
fallene

When should you let a client go
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 11:26:35 PM

I have had a couple of situations, where the client is never happy, or I do exactly what I discussed with them in a consultation and they don't like their hair. This year I have decided I am going to start respecting myself, and want my clients to respect me as well, so if someone mistreats me I want to refer them to another stylist. What is the best way to do this, and when would you refer a client to another stylist?

Thanks for the input.

Fallene

russnyc
Platinum Member

Saying goodbye
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2007 1:18:22 PM
There are a few reasons when it's time to let go of a client, and it truly is only 1 out of 1000 of them, if you are turning clients away every week, it's you, not them and you should be striving for education in things like consultations and communication classes. You don't have to take abuse but you should be aware our industry is all about hospitality and meeting people's needs. Always offer a redo with the original stylist, if they need to see someone else, make sure the manager has decided this.

Reasons-

Client is verbally or physically abusive to you or staff.

Client intoxicated or "out of it" on drugs (legal or illegal!)

Client shows blatant disregard for scheduled appointments more than 3 times, or constantly runs your late policy right to the raggedy edge of acceptable terms.

Client abuses return/refund policy more than once, doing things like calling to complain about color following week yet showing up 3 weeks later for a color redo or works her way around to each stylist with the same issue again and again... (That "elusive" color that is just an excuse to get something for nothing...

With every single case, it it imperative that you have more than just one person evaluate the situation, preferably including the manager. At no time should you charge money if you are turning someone away for good, this has more to do with karma than profit because they can't really complain too hard if they aren't charged and you negate all energy around it if no money has changed hands.

IF YOU TURN SOMEONE AWAY from your salon, DO NOT allow them to come back to another stylist there! Leave a note that instructs this at reception. This sends conflicting messages to both the client, staff, about the way you do business.

Integrity and consistency over profit every time.