Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Am I doing the right thing?? *a long one*
Posted By:
Posted By:KKut81 on: 10/15/2007 3:39:06 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Am I doing the right thing?? *a long one*
KKut81

Am I doing the right thing??
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 3:39:06 PM

Hello there. Let me start off by saying that i'm confused and at the end of my rope with my current job. I've only been licensed for almost a year,and have had dissapointments ever since. I worked at a chain salon and HATED it,then,thinking I went on to new and better things,went into a higher-end full service salon. Yes,it was better pay and a better setting,but I was promised to get most of the walk-ins to help me build my book,among other things.My boss hasn't really held up her end of the bargain. I'm finding sometimes that she'll give more walk-ins to the other girl who is only part time,and i'm full time.

Not only that,but i'm constantly ridiculed and undermined from my boss all the time,alot of times in front of clients. She swears she is only "helping" me but sometimes I feel like busting out crying. She says that i'm not retaining any clients(I have retained about 10) and have been working there for 5 months,and new to the business. She also states that a few clients told her that they didn't feel secure with me. I guess not,you are pointing out every little thing i'm doing wrong right in front of them. She literally makes me feel like i'm the most unintelligent person on the planet. She is extremely anal about everything and I mean EVERYTHING. One time I was in the laundry room and the broom was put in the wrong place and she literally picked it up,and threw it where it belonged.I was almost scared of her after that. She is very rude to me and to some of the clients. I have also been told she has bad-mouthed me to another employee. She does this to me,talks bad about my co-worker to me.

Another thing is she thinks of me as her shampoo girl. While I have no problem helping out in the salon,alot of times she gets me to shampoo for her AND another girl there,and they just sit there and read their magazines. Any time she needs something it's always me she asks,whether to clean up after her or to go get her lunch. I was not aware that I was hired as a shampoo girl,I did that for 7 years prior and didn't pay $10,000 for school to be someone's b*^%&. She would ask me to color or cut her hair,and i'm the only person available to take walk-ins,so when one does walk in,here I am doing her hair. She constantly praises the work of the other stylist there and never recognizes my good work. It's funny,because about 98% of the people I have done,they always walk out happy. She will openly talk about her prior drug addictions to clients,like that is something you want people to know.

I just can't work with this woman anymore.She is unproffessional,a control freak and on a huge power-trip. I have actually considered doing nails for now,as nails have always come naturally to me. I have a couple interviews so we will see what happens.

hairnette

Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 6:15:13 PM

Well, KKut81 it sounds like you have already decided what you must do.  You should not be treated the way you have been.  I do not know if I would start doing nails and not hair, but if you like doing nails thats fine, you can build a good business doing nails and the clients will be there every 2 weeks.  But don't let a bad experince turn you away from this Great business.

Good Luck and keep us posted

"Its all about Great Hair"

ponitail
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:22:58 AM

get out and keep your sanity, but don't give up on hair if you love it, beware there are a lot of nutter bosses out there, have fun, good luck

patience in one minute of anger can prevent one hundred days of sorrow!

KKut81

Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 11:43:11 AM

Thank you for your advice. I like doing hair but I don't feel like a LOVE it. I enjoy doing nails,I'm good at doing nails and I find it more relaxing,not always being on your feet.Don't get me wrong,I will always do hair if not now then on the side or maybe later down the road.The experince I have with that is valueable. I am deciding between two place this week,had an interview yesterday and have another one tomorrow. The other one already sounds interested.

Which brings me to this-When I do decide to leave,how do I go about it. I realize that in this business,if you put your 2 weeks in,alot of times they will fire you on the spot.I'd like to have an easy and painless exit,and hopefully with no hard feelings. And how do I go about getting my clients info to contact them later without blowing my cover?

hairnette

Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 1:52:03 PM
Well, I would talk to your owner and tell her you appreciate the opportunity she has given you , but you have decided to make a change.  Then tell her you will give her two weeks notice if she would like.  And really if you only have been there 5 months that  really isn't enough time to gain a real client base.  You said you have 10 regulars, hopefully you have their contact information, if not shame on you.  So with your new job will you be doing nails or hair or both?  The 10 clients you have coming, were they coming to the salon before you began working there?  Or did you bring them?  If they were clients to the salon before you were employed, then chances are they will remain with the salon.  But either way It was only 5 months  and 10 regulars you are not losing anything by leaving.  Sometimes it take a little while to find out were you want to be.  So do not get bummed out ,find you passion and everything will fall into place.

KKut81

Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:05:56 PM

Thanks,Hairnette. I'm dreading the day I leave,I just know it won't be pretty,thats how this woman is.She will probably try to make me feel bad for leaving. But seriously,it's not working out and i'm not doing enough people or making enough money. Pure example,today I got a call form my boss this morning saying that I didn't have any appts today and the other girl won't have any until 4:30 today,so she said to stay home. I can't make a living this way,being sent home early or not coming in at all. She is paying me weekly salary,i'm not on commission.and while the salary helps,I'm still barely getting by on minimum wage.

The clients I have retained were just walk-ins in my current salon.

hairnette

Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 3:03:59 PM

It sounds like she is trying to get you to leave.  Or maybe she is in over her head and can not afford to pay you.  Either way "You do what you have to do".  Just thank her and be on your way.

Good luck keep me posted

KKut81

Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:24:03 PM

I wish it was just as easy as saying bye and being on my way. This woman has got me scared,scared to say certain things to her. I swear I have never been more intimidated by a boss until now. She is known all over town for being too hard on people and having a bad rep. I should have listened to people before I got this job,they warned me how she was. And the fact that there is 8 chairs and only 4 stylists,including myself and her should have told me something. She always talks about how she fired some stylists but I think they couldn't take her anymore and just left. It's any wonder how she keeps her clientele,I mean she's a very good stylist but a bad person with a bad attitude,even some clients have told me that.

Sorry about that rant,i'm finally getting this all off my chest lol I know I need to get out of there,that's not a question. But I hope i'm doing the right thing by taking a manicurists position. Do you know anyone who has prospered from doing hair to doing nails? I know manicurists can make good money but it seems that they are hard to come by,they eventually get tired of it and want to do hair(sometimes the grass isn't always greener). But i'm glad I have the knowledge to do all aspects of cosmeology,If I try this and decide that I really just want to do hair,I can always go back to that,granted i'll have to start from the bottom up again. But like you said,I've only been there for 5 months(been licensed for almost a year) and won't lose much of anything,i'm still new in the business and i'm not necessarily starting over again. At least that's what i'm telling myself lol

hairnette

Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 8:09:41 PM
KKut81,  you said in your first post that you were a shampoo girl for 7 years.  And that you like doing hair but your not in love with it.  If your not passionate about what your doing then it is just a JOB and my dear that stands for (Just Above Broke)  I don't know about you, but that's not where I want to be.  If you like doing nails then do nails.  And strive to be the best nail tech. in town.  If you don't mind me asking two things 1. How old are you?  It doesn't matter I'm just curious.  2.  What part of the country do you live?  Is it a city or more rural?  And what made you want to go into the business?  What inspired you or who?  Yeah, I know that's five ?? ( I never was really good at math) lol   I'm just doing a little research on what makes people decide to go into the business.  If you would rather not post that information on the bulletin board my e-mail is on my profile.

hues4you
Platinum Member

KKut81
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:14:22 AM

Dear KKut81

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator