Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > *Me* Input series of days
Posted By:
Posted By:lady on: 10/17/2007 5:20:30 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: *Me* Input series of days
lady

*Me* Input series of days
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:20:30 PM
Okay here goes.. I'm laying it all out. I am 30. I have been in the business for almost 7.5 yrs. I did redside in a small farming community. Now live in a suburb of Chicago. I worked for a kid friendly chain salon when I first moved here it was okay at first , but then couldn't handle the little tykes and quit. I am in the process ( sort of ) of finding employment that I can grow in and is uplifting. Now here is the dilemma I have depression and was recently diagnosed with ADD. Alot to deal with anyway , I am feeling very insecure with myself and am having a hard time following through on setting up interviews and going to meet new ppl. I love the chosen career. I'm weak in color and am what I feel highly competent on cutting , styling , and nails , both natural and artificial. The reason for me telling all this is to find out if someone in the biz has went through similar stuff and could give advice on how to deal with everything. AND a possible boost to my self-esteem.(yes am on meds, doesn't interfere with my work ability)

inspiremeplease

Your not alone
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:57:42 PM
I'm new to this.  I just need a place to vent.  Lately I haven't felt the same about my work.  I used to enjoy my work so much I couldn't wait to go the next day.  I work at a great place.  The owner is very friendly and fair.  I've been doing hair for 5 years.  I've been at this salon for a year, and worked a another place for four years.  This salon is in a better location but I can't seem to fill my book.  I feel like my regular clients are booking their appointments farther apart.  I wonder if the economy is effecting other people just as much.  I know I'm not selling as much retail either.  I feel that my book should look better.  I work 5 days a week and can really only fill 2 or 3 days, but for the most part my days are quiet.  I advertise and participate with the local collage.  I don't know whats going on but I feel really depressed about my career.  I hope someone has some helpful advise.  Thank you

hues4you
Platinum Member

lady & inspiremeplease
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 6:35:36 AM

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us.

To address depression and anxiety - know you are not the only one with this illness.  And you do not have to tell a potential co-worker.  The longer you are on these meds, you will adjust to a new calmer you.  When you interview, don't view these things as a disability, know that when you find the right work place - you will be in higher spirits.  Be honest about your strengths and weaknesses and you might just find a salon that will help train you at color.

As far as business being slower - I think this is probably happening to everyone.  People are afraid of the economy right now.  People are loosing their homes.  They are also booking a little further apart right now because they are trying to space the appts just right to be looking great for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Asking your clients for referrals right now would be a great idea - and it will make you feel better about the fact that you could of lost some clients due to moves, etc.  It happens to us all.  Keep that chin up and keep on going!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

littleleigh

i understand!
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 8:31:46 PM
I understand what the both of you are saying 100 percent!  I think that you should look around at peoples hair the community, and if you find someones hair you like, ask where they get it done.  A lot of hair stylist are on anti depressants and have ADD, dont worry about that!  It's a stressssssful field!  I work in a salon that offers the most education avalible.  Its posh.  I have been there for 3 years.  I moved for about 4 months with no intentions of coming back.. but I did.  So for the past year I've been rebuilding my book.  The economy is not the best its ever been, and obviously it gets worse every year!  Gas prices go up, the cost of living, food... people are buying houses on variable interest loans and paying interest only on their loans, so their house payments vary from month to month.  It's hard, but realize it's a rough year.  I've had the worst week I have EVER had since I've been there this week..  I suggest getting on a budget, that helps a ton!  You can only sale yourself so much, but if people dont have the extra cash, you cant do anything about it!  love:-)

russnyc
Platinum Member

bad week
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2007 9:17:38 AM
when you have a slow week, be honest with the clients that you DO have, and spend some extra time with them-do a hot roller set or curling iron set just because you want to.

My heart goes out to those on meds but some of Monet's finest paintings, such as the waterlily ones have bright colors and sullen ones on the same easel. It is the shadow and somber parts of the painting that encircle the bright ones and make them seem brighter, you can't appreciate one without the other and such is life.

Really try hard to work through the depression rather than settling for a diagnosis and a pill, it is a lesson to learn, not repeat.

ponitail
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 2:10:30 PM
I hear ya love, I have an anxiety disorder(on meds) and have been on many different antidepressants, I abused drugs and alcohol when I was younger(first getting in to the biz) I am actually scared of my clients some days, I love them they are great but sometimes it is scary being responsible for a bit of their self esteem, I was diagnosed, at 24 years old with an LD Dyscalculia a learning difference that is in the math family. I have a had time telling time on a face clock, directions are hard for me mathematical calculations and I can't use shwatkopt color because of the numbering system the numbers flip and turn back wards like dyslexia lol imagine the mess ups that would be possible. I like goldwell any way. I am a high school drop out because I was not looked  for LD earlier. I am 30 and been doing hair for 16 years and own my own business, I have over come things by making my troubles work for me and not giving it to them, I drink on special occasions, take a small amount of meds for anxiety lots of therapy the worst was not believing that I was smart I also when back to school for business, I love hair and I am good at it so learn all you can about depression and ADD this info will assist you in being able to cope and help your self, chin up love, a creative mind is rarely tidy!
patience in one minute of anger can prevent one hundred days of sorrow!

lady

"Response"
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:48:31 PM
Thank you so much to all who replied , and especially thank you ponitail. I am so releaved in your response it has conforted me in my need. I will take your advice and love the quatation at the end thanks again..

hues4you
Platinum Member

littleleigh
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 4:01:35 PM

Dear littleleigh

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator