Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > decision to sell salon
Posted By:
Posted By:ksteve on: 10/24/2007 8:53:43 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: decision to sell salon
ksteve

decision to sell salon
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:53:43 AM

I have had my salon for 5 years and am so on the fence about selling it.  I just want someone else to have the headaches and be in charge. I am the only full time stylist, with 1 PT,2 PT nail techs and a PT massage therapist. Am just so tired of every bit of my pay going for overhead. I feel like I'm just ready to work somewhere else and leave someone else in control. Have a great salon to go to right down the block. Not as upscale as mine but great workers and clients.  Need some moral support!!! Any input will be greatly appreciated!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:58:26 PM
Have you considered partnering with someone, or putting it out there that you are interested in partnering? The toughest part of working for someone else is taking all that freedom you had as an owner and reigning it in at another salon.

On the flip side, perhaps you need another set of eyes to go through your expenses and business practices to see why you're not making more profit.

Not everyone is cut out to be an owner, but it would be sort of a sacrifice to step down as one and work under another roof... how do you think your clients will feel?

ksteve

Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:11:05 AM

Thank you for your reply.  I have very much considered a partner.  I initially opened with a partner and had to let her go because of personal, ethical reasons.   So I do have alot invested here which is why I hate to make a move, however, I will always work somewhere that I can maintain the flexibility I have. I would love to have a partner but don't quite know how to go about it. I know I'm not the best manager material, I am more of a support personality, and this place could really benefit in every way with the right partner, I just don't know how to get the word out.

mvervin

Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 10:15:56 PM
I am going through the EXACT situation, I'm also having to move because the building I'm in was purchased by a neew owner and they increased my rent so I will need to move and i've invested alot in buildout and now I need to move but iv'e been blessed that I found another location and I am in the process of trying to sign a lease. But I'm sure your doing a great job it's just that you probably are taken advantage. If it's meant to happen it will.

mvervin

Don't give up
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 10:16:42 PM
I am going through the EXACT situation, I'm also having to move because the building I'm in was purchased by a neew owner and they increased my rent so I will need to move and i've invested alot in buildout and now I need to move but iv'e been blessed that I found another location and I am in the process of trying to sign a lease. But I'm sure your doing a great job it's just that you probably are taken advantage. If it's meant to happen it will. Don't give up!!!!!!

mvervin

Don't give up
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 10:17:11 PM
I am going through the EXACT situation, I'm also having to move because the building I'm in was purchased by a neew owner and they increased my rent so I will need to move and i've invested alot in buildout and now I need to move but iv'e been blessed that I found another location and I am in the process of trying to sign a lease. But I'm sure your doing a great job it's just that you probably are taken advantage. If it's meant to happen it will. Don't give up!!!!!!