Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Lack of time..
Posted By:
Posted By:Cosmo-politan on: 11/9/2007 11:18:12 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Lack of time..
Cosmo-politan

Lack of time..
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 11:18:12 PM
I've been working in a salon for about 2 months now. I haven't received much training and no where near what I was promised in the interview. I'm kind of a slow foiler, and when things are booked in the computer for more time the appt has to be "stretched". People haven't been stretching things to the correct amount of time I need and, and then booking me another appointment right after, even though I'll be in the middle of doing one appt when they get to the salon. Today the one appt they gave me just left because she didn't want me to wait to finish on the person i was with. What should I do? How should I bring this up to the manager without looking like a complainer? I feel like this is really making me look bad, but its not my fault.

AliG

such a hard one...
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:32:44 AM

I did/do struggle with this one on an ongoing basis.  Although sometimes the recptionist knows that I require extra time (ie.  lots of hair/full head foils) manager does not allow for it.  I just try and do the best time management I can (ie. can assistant shampoo next client while I finish foiling?) and try not to worry about being late. The more I focus on timing, the slower I get. 

I've also found that having a particular pattern/way of doing foils is helpful.  I always start with the trickiest area so that once it is done, I can take a deep breath and go on to the rest.  That way if I'm running behind I'm not double-stressed on the toughest part with a client waiting! 

Talking to the manager is always a good idea. Let them know how you're feeling and do your best to work on timing....good luck!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Timing
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:25:15 AM
Hi

After the third run in with being late for a client, go to your manager and insist on booking on a 45 minute schedule. This will allow you to do everything you need to do, and allows a buffer of 10 minutes in case the client is late.

Focusing on time doesn't work for me either because clients are early and late, I focus instead on when they are physically in the salon and ready to go, THEN map out how I'm going to do all 3 people at the same time.

Being stressed out about it never works.