Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > strange smell after perm?
Posted By:
Posted By:chelseamsu on: 11/12/2007 2:53:55 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: strange smell after perm?
chelseamsu

strange smell after perm?
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 2:53:55 PM

I just had a client call me today that had a perm done 2 weeks ago.  She said that #1 the perm didn't hold real well, and #2 there's a strange smell that she hasn't been able to get rid of since the perm.  she's an older client that has had plenty of perms before and she says it's not a perm smell, it's bad.  I used an ISO perm, which I've been using for 6 years and i swear by them.  She said that the perm started right away and after a few washes it has gotten a little better, but gets worse when she sweats, that wouldn't be caused by a perm would it? She also said that it didn't hold very well, but also said that she put vinegar on her head to get rid of the smell. I'm sure that didn't help how well it held. 

This was the first time seeing this client at my shop I just opened.  I always take redo's hard and I'm redoing her hair on Friday.  I'm going to use a stronger ISO perm. The mistake I"m really thinking I made is that I only wet her hair down before the perm, not washed it, and she said she had a lot of product in it. I"m really kicking myself for not washing it now. It jsut looked like she had dry scalp and I didn't want to aggitate it too much. Coudl the perm have reacted to a product in her hair?

pokepres

Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 4:32:09 PM
did you use a different size rod than last time? Sounds like you need to go down a size. I couldnt imagine that the product in her hair could have affected it TOO much, the perm should have just eaten thru...but i guess anything is possible, sounds strange to me though

chelseamsu

Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 9:20:21 PM

i figured the perm would've goen through anything too. but i guess you never know what older clients are putting in their hair. i'm definatly going down a size on the rollers, and i'm thinking i should use a stronger perm? what do you think? the perm i used was an ISO I, for normal and previously permed hair, I'm thinking of using an ISO III, for stronger curl or resistant hair.

I'm really curious to figure out what this smell is.  She tells me that she goes to a lot of different salons, so I"m hoping that that's not a bad sign that she may be a difficult person.

javajunkie

ISO Aroma
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:59:19 AM
I also swear by ISO perms!  However because they use a different chemical make-up they smell different... I think they are not as offensive.  I have had clients complain of the smell like you are decribing, your mature client might not wash her hair as often as she needs to and that might be adding to the odor.

style4u2day

happen 2 me before
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 9:42:55 PM
I've used this perm and one client also complained about a terrible smell after. Well after calling the company and explaining the say it is a reaction to certain people that can be nutralized by a special product. I suggest contacting iso they will expain and tell you the product they sell (about 4.00-7.00$)that will elimate the problem. It is good to have on hand in case it happeneds again. I've done perms on my same client after and there was no smell. But the first time it would smell like a wet dog very strange.

beauty53
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:07:37 PM
If memory serves me correctly, ISO perms are Cysteamine and not Thio.  It is definitely a stronger smell and I have had good success by rinsing the hair with the hottest water the client can tolerate and rinsing for a FULL five minutes.  I think clarifying the hair prior to perming or straightening is an essential step to successful restructuring.