Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Help! Client with "Chemical Burn!"
Posted By:
Posted By:spfldstyler1 on: 11/20/2007 11:44:52 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Help! Client with "Chemical Burn!"
spfldstyler1

Help! Client with "Chemical Burn!"
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:44:52 PM
Your thoughts please.....Friday a client came in for a perm. She has shoulder length hair and wanted a loose curl.  I discussed prior perms with her and she reported no problems.  I wrapped the hair on purple and white rods.  I used a Martix Opticurl acid wave, needed 2 perms due to length and density.  I processed her for 15 minutes, checking every 5.  I rinsed thoroughly and blotted thoroughly.  Throughout all this she was draped, based and coton was used, changed before neutralizer.  She complained of dripping solution on her neck during the neutralizer application, so I used a second towel around her neck.  I rinsed the neutralizer, removed the rods did a full haircut and blowdry.  She checked out, seemed very happy, gave me a $35 tip and off she went.  Today (Tuedsay), I get a call from her telling me she has a chemical burn on the nape of her neck.  She says she had been to an urgent care and was refused treatment.  She now has an appt with a dermatologist in 2 weeks.  She says she is concerned about it getting infected and/or scarring.  I was stunned to say the least.  In all these years this has never happened to me.  I am also puzzled by her account of not being treated at an urgent care facility, I thought they had to treat you or send you to the ER.  I am also wondering why we went through that entire process and she never complained of any problem and I didn't see any redness or irritation on her neck at all throughout the haircut and blowdry.  This sounds hokey to me.  I asked her to keep me advised of her healing and I think I am going to call my insurance agent tomorrow.  I feel like I am in the twilight zone on this one, what the hell?  Has this happened to anyone else, am I losing my mind?  

russnyc
Platinum Member

possible
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:16:20 AM
It is possible that the product soaked her blouse, or reacted with the alkalinity in her sweat and created a burn. It might even have reacted to fabric softener, perfume, or deodorant bodyspray that was in the fabric or traces on her skin. I use a rubber cowl, like the one used for cutting over a cape for all color and chemical treatments. Halfway through the process, you should've asked if her blouse was wet and if she needed to change it.

Don't doubt the client or show her you think she is being "hokey". Contact your insurance agent, make sure you have all the information about the process and perm, and if at all possible try to retrieve the box or the one right after it for the insurance company. THEY will contact the company. You should make sure your license is up to date, as this is the only reason the perm company guarantees their products.

Review what you may have done wrong, BUT SAY NOTHING to the client. Apologize without referring to what went wrong or anything else about the incident, this is to keep you from saying too much, "but he said she said", before the insurance company takes HER statement, the less you say the better in the case of a lawsuit. Once your agent takes a statement, THEY will contact her.

Don't offer her anything free- this is kind of pointless, makes you look like you're guilty, and she's probably not coming back, just relax- that's what the insurance company is there for.

SouthernGuy
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:29:07 AM

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 4:57:19 PM
If it was such a bad burn, why is she waiting two weeks to see the dermatologist? Something's fishy. I agree with the above replies.