Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > OMG~Horrific day!!......can I REALLY do this??
Posted By:
Posted By:Biki on: 1/8/2008 9:32:13 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: OMG~Horrific day!!......can I REALLY do this??
Biki

OMG~Horrific day!!......can I REALLY do this??
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 9:32:13 AM
OK, I know bad things happen in 3's......I'm now waiting for number 3. The first thing that happened? On Sunday, one of my new very expensive diamond earrings gets flicked down the drain while I'm rinsing my jewelry after cleaining it.......outcome? Thank God my Husband is handy......he got it out for me!! The second bad thing?? I was working on  a dear longtime friend yesterday and her foils came out purple on top. It was my stupid mistake and will never happen again. She was here a total of 12 hours. After removing color with elimin8 and bleach a couple of times, it was a very light pink. I chose socolor 6 with some 5g and neutral filler and when I was all done, it was a beautiful mocha/red brown. She loved it and was very happy........but now I fear the fade that will happen. She was a terrific sport. She didn't freak out, and that really helped me to stay calm and correct the mistake. This is especially hard for me to deal with A. because it has NEVER happened to me before, B. Because she's a friend, but sort of a color virgin, and C. Because I am opening my own salon in 2 weeks........I'm starting to doubt myself because I know its normal to do so, but I know I have to stay strong, and know I'll get through it. Of course I did not charge her a penny for anything she had done, and will continue to keep that color looking good at no charge to her until I am confident with the color staying put. I just need to know that there are other people out there who have made mistakes even thought they are very experienced, and a whiz with color. EXCEPT FOR THIS TIME!!! Thanks for your time, and hopefully your encouragement!!

hues4you
Platinum Member

Biki
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 9:32:15 PM

Dear Biki

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in green box above.  Hoping you much better days ahead!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

chelseamsu

Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:29:46 AM

Just be thankful it was a friend it happened to and try to move on.  I just opened my own salon a couple months ago and about 2 weeks after opening I did a perm on an elderly lady that ended up smelling like rotten fruit. I'm very confident in perms and had NO idea how this happened and I took it really hard.  Then I had to realize that things like this are going to happen from time to time and what matters most is how you handle it.  I'm sure working with other people you've seen their mistakes and see how they deal with them.  And you see that after a mistake you still need to pull it together and go on to the next client.  

If your like me you need to focus not so hard on the one that didn't turn out, but the many happy clients that you have.  Not that you can't learn from your mistake, but don't kill yourself over it. Wow, do I have to take my own advice:)

Best of luck, hopefully your 3rd thing doesn't come around!

Biki

Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 9:03:42 PM
Thank you Chelseamsu!!!! After dealing with the 3rd bad thing that happened right after I posted this, and crying my eyes out today, I talked to my dearest friends not even in the industry, and I felt so much better. They basically said the exact same things you said, and they helped me shake it off. I care TOO much I think, because I am a perfectionist not to impress others, but to keep up with a certain standard I set for myself since cosmetology school. So I felt that I let myself down, but I'm getting on with life now, thanks to the advice from you and others. I'm sorry to hear of your perm nightmare.......its just such a horrible feeling when freak things like this happen. I hope you too, have shaken it off, and moved on!!! Best of luck with your salon. I wish you a happy and super prosperous 2008!......I was ready to give up today, but you know what? I'm stronger than that........I CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  XOXO
Biki

chelseamsu

Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 9:51:12 PM

Good! I'm glad your feeling better.  You sound a LOT like me, I was never a person to work well in a group not because I didn't get along with other people, but that I wanted things to be perfect.  that was some of the reason I get into this field. no depending on other people for a final result. 

I have a hard time in my salon because I live in a very rural area and I"m the only one here with a rapidly growing clientele.  Some situations I've never seen before and I get a little nervous when I can't ask another stylist for help.  But this board helps me a lot and sometimes puts things in better perspective for me.  Best of luck to you too and hope you stay on these boards!

Biki

Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:51:42 AM
Oh yeah~ I'm feeling better.....and I will continue to do so. A great friend of mine met me for lunch yesterday and I was crying my eyes out about the whole situation, and telling her how much stress I'm under with trying to open this salon and do it properly, and later on I came home only to find a book called"the Secret" on my front porch. Its all about positive thinking. If you haven't read it, GET IT!!! Anyway, you & I sound ALOT alike!!! I, too prefer to work my own way, and never have had anyone to look up to or ask for advice. I taught myself everything. Thats why I'm opening the salon so I can really do things MY WAY!! Thanks so muc for your concern, and I will stay on these boards. They have helped me out more than I could ever imagine. It makes me feel like I'm not the only one who has a really bad day in this industry every once in a while.....thank God for BTC.com!!!!!! Have a fantastic day!!! XOXO
Biki