Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > accommodating short stylists...
Posted By:
Posted By:madk on: 1/31/2008 10:16:32 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: accommodating short stylists...
madk

accommodating short stylists...
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:16:32 AM
I am new to this profession and am feeling like I'm handicapped. I am 5 ft. tall, and even with heels and the chair at it's lowest level, need a step stool to do highlights on top of someone's head or the top of a men's cut. Does anyone else have this problem?
My salon used to have a shorter base for my chair before we were remodeled, but now there is no shorter base for the new chairs and it's driving me crazy. I've asked my manager numerous times if there's a way to get a shorter chair.
I really feel handicapped in this industry because now I realize the standard chair size is too tall for me.
Using a step stool looks really unproffessional to me, not to mention dangerous. One day I'm going to injure myself standing on that stupid thing.
Is there anything I can do?

xxhairdivaxx
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:25:12 PM
Hi, I feel your pain.  Ask your manager would it be alright if you could sit on a barstool while applying color on the top of your clients head.  That seems to be the only solution.  Good luck

Gary

simple solution
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 12:37:56 AM

I've been in a stylist for 15 years and I learned something a long time ago.....make your work as easy as possible.

If a client is too tall for you to work on simply ask them to slouch in the chair. It's that simple. If you need them to move their head one way or the other, move it that way....that's why we have necks. Hope this helps.

PaigeLewis

Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 4:50:18 PM

I'm a shorty too, I'm only 5'2. I also use a step stool for highlights, and the other stylists tease me about it (not in a mean way, we all laugh about it) But even with the stool it's hard sometimes. Even with haircuts, some of my tall men clients make it very hard, and your haircut can suffer if you ask someone to slouch.

If you're scared of standing on the stool, maybe you could look into having a sort of stationary platform built. Something large that wouldn't be as easy to fall from, and then have rubber grips on it so it can't slide. I can't imagine it would be too hard...what about one of those large "steps" that people use in step aerobics?

...I feel like these ideas are a little lame, but I know where you're coming from :)

madk

Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 11:33:37 PM
Consider this: The majority of stylists in this profession are women. The average height for women is 5'4".
Even at 5'4" I see stylists have problems with the height of the chair.
Sooo, why are salon chairs made this way? I think the size of the chairs need to change, not the stylist. This isn't going to happen of course, but it's something to think about ladies. Why is it a problem in the first place?