Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Who is this guy?
Posted By:
Posted By:CosmoLizzy2008 on: 2/10/2008 6:23:24 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Who is this guy?
CosmoLizzy2008

Who is this guy?
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:23:24 PM
I've been a licensed stylist for 2 1/2 years and I work at the biggest salon in my town. The owners recently hired "practically" some guy off the street. Or might as well have. Anyways. He was offered the management position because he is good with computers. He knows absolutely NOTHING about hair or this industry. I work with a team of 9 stylist. He recently made up a system for us where we have to do callbacks, spreadsheets, cleaning of the entire salon- everyday. If these tasks aren't completed everyday or not everyone is participating, we are supposed to "tattle" on each other. This is just asking for trouble. Not to mention there are days when I don't even get a lunch break. How am i supposed to do these taks?! Am i over-reacting? Help!

brianj

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 1:43:58 AM

To be honest some of what this guy is doing sounds right. Change is always hard. But it sounds like the guy is trying to improve things.Doing a call back is agreat thing for your clients and I would have thought that a spreadsheet was almost an industry standard now?

As regards cleaning of the salon , that sounds a little over zealous. We check things every day and clean what needs cleaned. To clean something that is already clean is just wasting time - your most valuable asset.

As for "tattling" on your colleagues , my approach would be this:if they werent pulling their weight the rest of the team should deal with the situation before it goes to management. I know I wouldnt want to do someone else's work as well as my own.

I can't imagine that if you are so busy that you cant have lunch that you are expected to do so much cleaning. As a busy stylist you are great for business and if I was your manager I'd be trying to keep the stylists happy.

How many assistants do you have?

I wuld give the guy a chance .Talk to him and your salon owner - tell them how you feel

Brian

CosmoLizzy2008

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:13:45 AM
We have zero assistants. At first when we started doing the spreadsheets i loved them! It gives me a good look at my numbers and averages and how well im doing with each guest. As far as the call backs go... I feel its a good idea for someone who is trying to build their business.... but not really for someone who already has a clientele and a week long waiting list.. I couldn't really take on any more clients to be honest. Unless they want to wait 2 weeks to get into me...which no one really does. I think im just being hateful because, this new manager is a creepster. He managed blockbuster. It would be nice if he knew a little about hair...or fashion.. or ANYTHING about the industry!