Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Children...need I say more?
Posted By:
Posted By:da_luckiest_one on: 2/13/2008 9:10:27 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Children...need I say more?
da_luckiest_one

Children...need I say more?
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:10:27 PM
Today was like kids day at the shop. First, a mom brings in her twins and they start crying hysterically. Next, a mom brings in her triplets and oldest son. Those kids pretty much destroyed our shop. They ruined all the magazines. Worst of all, whenever we told the parents to control the kids, they acted like we were inconviencing them. How can I tell them nicely next time to control their kids without sounding rude??? I nearly lost my mind!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Value the clients
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:17:22 AM
If your shop is a family shop, I could understand this, but if it is a higher end shop, you really need to call them on it, call back and say while you value their patronage as a client, you really can't have uncontrollable children in your shop disturbing other clients. Make sure you say thta you appreciate their patronage both before and after you say this.

This is a blatant disregard for other's space. I had a mother change her child's diaper on top of our lunch table the other day!

Call the shots. You need to tell new mothers when you confirm the appointment the day before that unless the child can sit quietly the entire time, it is disruptive to other clients trying to enjoy the service. A salon is meant as a tranquil space, and should be treated as such. ESPECIALLY if there is a spa, you need to spell it out on your menu.

Theatres have NO PROBLEM spelling this out and you should too.

This goes for people bringing dogs into the salon. You just have to say that several of your clients complained of having terrible allergic reactions in the past, and you need to respect their health as well.

You should also make it somewhat effortless, make sure you know a good restaurant next door, offer to call ahead and set them up with the other parent at a table while they are waiting for the other parent to finish at the salon, but be firm or people WILL walk all over you.

russnyc
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:19:05 AM

cunninghamcuts

children should they be seen?
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 12:18:16 AM
I have a client with 5 kids.  She used to bring them in all at once and although they are angels in comparisson to others, all the commotion is quite nerve wracking.  We finally reached an agreement that some would sit in the car while others would get their service.  Not only did this relieve the tension for me, it gave me a chance to really be a stylist to this future taxpayer.  Don't we want all our work to be its best?  Simply stating these facts to parents-that you can work faster or better if you took the group one at a time is a reasonable request.  Offering to take one of the monsters off mommy's hands for a while might make her day!

xxhairdivaxx
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 1:33:40 PM

OMG........@ the diaper changing on the lunch table comment!!! 

I remember a Saturday where the salon I was working in instantly became a day care center.  Baby strollers all over the place.  Most of them were babies, though ranging from 2 months old to a year.  It was crazy and hard that day because I had to stop doing a service every 15 min. so that the mother's could breast feed.  I was like why would you bring your baby when you know that you're getting a full head sew in weave.  Which BTW takes at least 4 hours to complete including the set, cut and style.  I was backed up ALL DAY!!! and so were my co-workers.  We didn't close the shop until 10pm!!! We were furious.  It was a mess!!