Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Awkward situation ??
Posted By:
Posted By:dianeteetee on: 2/24/2008 11:22:05 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Awkward situation ??
dianeteetee

Awkward situation ??
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:22:05 PM
I know after many years in our profession you have to develop a thicker skin. It is a personal preference where & who you go to get your hair done. When a client changes a stylist in the same salon. Its awkward. We make the client feel comfortable. In our salon we get along very well and we feel bad doing someone else's client(don't want to step on anyones toes). Recently an old friend made an appointment with one of the other stylists (I hadn't done her hair in years) And even though I should know better I feel weird. I know I should just be happy shes back at the salon BLAH BLAH. I'm just being honest. Please help me get over this sensitivity thing. When it happens to someone else Im the first one to make them feel better about the situation. But when its me...

AliG

my coworker is going through the same thing
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 12:24:09 AM
Hi, my coworker recently told me she is dealing with the same situation as you. She had been on a leave of absence and when she returned although most of her clients returned to her, some didn't and remained with other stylists.  It's never an easy thing to see 'your' clients with another stylist -- I guess the best advice to give is that you too will have clients come to you in the same way.  Remember not to take anything too personally even if at the time it feels personal. 

AliG

oh and.....
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 12:26:38 AM
true story: a client that was with me for several years decided to go to a coworker of mine.  I felt all the same things as you do.  Turns out that the new stylist ended up blistering her head and frying her hair into dandelion fluff.....the client is back with me now so you never know how things turn out :)

cunninghamcuts

Don't fall in love
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 12:01:29 AM
AliG is right.  It stinks when it happens to you, but sometimes the situation turns itself around.  We as stylists get into our client's personal space and forget the oldest rule not to confuse friendly with friendship.  We fall in love so to speak with these people and when the relationship is over, it's like we have lost a part of ourselves.  What we need to remember is professional distance.  I am one of the biggest offenders in this same case and have recently been dumped by one of my favorites.  It has made me re-think so many things.  I just wanted to validate your feelings.  It is never easy, but go back to your chair and do the best work you have ever done and move on.  You now have room for new and exciting people in your chair, and a new opportunity to grow.   

dianeteetee

Thanks guys
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 1:20:29 AM
I really appreciate your feedback. So "my friend" not trying to be sarcastic) came in & my co-worker was really nervous. You know.. been to several salons.. I remembered her hair was not fun at all. So I actually liked not having to deal with it. Initially it stings, I don't think you can help it or get used to it, Sucks when you like someone & they leave. I vented & now I'm over it.
When I get a new client I am on full alert if they bad-mouth their previous stylist.I had a new client who mentioned about 10 salons she had been to in the last 2 yrs. I was thinking "thats just great"
But she keeps coming back. To be honest her hair is no big deal... I just dont get it.