Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I am almost DONE before I really got started!?!?
Posted By:
Posted By:opinailz@yahoo.com on: 2/26/2008 11:33:33 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I am almost DONE before I really got started!?!?
opinailz@yahoo.com

I am almost DONE before I really got started!?!?
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 11:33:33 PM
Very stressed out at my job. does anyone have some advice on this I could use it. Lowest on the pole, taken for granted, all the crap non hair jobs cleaning etc.., never booked unless everyone else is full,  u name it I am it. Any advice as this is starting to get to me.

opinailz@yahoo.com

A little bit more of an explanation.
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:02:37 AM

OK, Sorry guys I am going to try and explain a little better. I have been out of school for almost a year now. While in the time I have been out I have acquired my Managing and Masters License in my state as well as the 2 states that surround me. I also have my Instructors License as well.

Upon graduating from school I decided to try and get a job at the most high end salon in town. I did this and was able to go to work with a big smile on my face just knowing where I had a job. I was very proud of where I worked because other stylists would always ask "how did you get a job there" At first it was great but as time went on I started to notice some things.

1. The only time I get appts is when it's one of my few clients and they want me. or everyone else is so booked up that there is no where else to put them. This doesnt happen often. When I do it's like 'how did you get that person"? I have even had people come to see me on my day off and they put them with someone else to get them done even though they are reluctant to have that person work on them. It seems as though every week I am doing nothing while everyone else is making $$$$

2. The receptionists are young and hang out alot with the other stylists party or whatever after work and I don't do that. so when the phone rings there is alot of "selected" booking that never goes my way even though I am 2nd on the list for seniority. But when it comes time to "clean or other odd jobs" I am always the one who gets the job and have even been referred to by other stylists as the salon BI%%CH.

3. I gave up a job making $500-$600 per week to do this and have seriously thought about giving it up because I am to the point where I am so frustrated that I don't know what to do. I am a very professional person who on every aspect would make a great stylist but I am losing the passion very quickly. I know alot of people in this town and I feel am well liked and have never doubted my ability but it seems to be happening now. is there any advice from you guys that might make it beter for me.

If it matters I am a guy haha.

xxhairdivaxx
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 3:26:36 AM

Its time to have a meeting.  You need to bring this to the salon owner and/or manager.  I know at high end salons they like to put newbies through "initiation".  You become the "go for or gopher" , the coffee maker, the towel washer basically its what an entry level assistant does. 

When you bring this matter to the attention of the owner/manager be professional and firm about your concerns.  Sounds to me that they are very clique-y and have their own circles.  If you truly want to stay there, don't stay there because of the ambiance in the style of the structure.  You don't have work relations with the wall. With all the accolades under your belt why would you subject yourself to such disrespect.

Well first let me ask how long have you been there?

Maybe it'll be best if you find another salon to work in that will respect you.

bbhair
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 10:10:27 PM

I wonder how long it will take you to build up a clientele in that fabulous POSH high end salon working on just a couple people a day? Hmm.

I say decide what is most important to you...

a) building a clientele and making money or

b) being able to impress your friends with saying where you work but never making enough money to get ahead in life.

If A is more important get the heck outta that salon. First step... QUIT WHINING. Anywhere you go you will be the low man on the totem pole. Get used to it. Do you expect to walk into a salon and have people give you more clients than people who have worked there for many years? Get real.

If B is more important, stop whining and deal with your choice. NO one held a gun to your head and forced you to work there.

Sorry to be so brutally honest but it gets real old listening to students come out of school with all these demands and expectations. I think schools are trying to create a graduate that has high self esteem but instead they are creating a group of whiny babies who think that the owners owe them something. Wrong.

vivid1

a new way to look at it...
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 12:59:17 AM
I found the last reply to your situation to be a bit harsh. I have 13 years in as a hairdresser and am now a salon owner.
I know it can be very frustrating when the front desk is not supporting you with walk-ins, but what I have learned is that you cannot rely on the salon owner or desk staff to supply you with a clientele. you need to become a self-marketing machine and continuously askk your faithful clients to refer friends and family, and even give each client three to five of your business cards and ask them to help you build your book. It can be humbling to ask for help, but you'll be surprised at how willing they are to help you out. It also works well to give some kind of incentive or reward for them for sending you referrals(send three=free cut, money off, etc..).
make sure you ALWAYS have cards with you and approach people whom you'd like to have as clients.
I don't know if you are familiar with Michael Cole, but check out michalecoleseminars.com. The man is the master at helping to encourage struggling stylists and aid in building up your clientele!
In short, don't depend on anyone but YOU to take this where you want to take it--no one will ever just drop a clientele in your lap. Pre-booking all of your clients next appointments before they leave also helps to build a loyal clientele and gets them into the salon an average of three to five extra appointments per year!