Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > EVER SINCE THE OPENING OF MY SALON, I HAVE CONTEMPLATED SUICIDE!
Posted By:
Posted By:avalon salon on: 4/6/2008 7:35:20 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: EVER SINCE THE OPENING OF MY SALON, I HAVE CONTEMPLATED SUICIDE!
avalon salon

EVER SINCE THE OPENING OF MY SALON, I HAVE CONTEMPLATED SUICIDE!
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 7:35:20 PM

I am a strong person. I have been thru more than my share of hell in my life.  But since I have opened my salon, the fun stopped after the decorating. I opened this salon because I the salon I was in at the time was a living nightmare. Owner would not fix anything, we froze in the winter and sweltered in the summer, a real mizer! I had wanted to do something unique upscale and different in my area of 27,000 people. I did not have a business plan, in fact I laugh at myself at "WHAT IS A BUSINESS PLAN?" I thought I could do it all on two credit cards! My reasoning for NOT doing it slow, was that if you start out with a mediocre salon,it does not matter in four to five years, you could have gold toilet seats and everyone will still remember you as a mediocre salon!  So I decided to go "BALLZ OUT!" Deep in debt, way beyond two credit cards. I am "THE WORST" business person, because I am an ART-TEEST! I just started my fourth year, I do hair, and the rest consisted of three other FANTASTIC, women doing hair, and one FANTASTIC mani/pedi/facial gal. I was holding up o.k. with the booth rent I was bringing in. I could still use 2 fulltime stylists and 1 more manicurist. Everyone co-exisited just beautiful. I am a VERY easy going owner. But the UNTHINKABLE happened two weeks ago! The last thing I expected was that two of my beloved girls were leaving to open up (YET ANOTHER) 2 chair place in town! No reason, both were perfectly content= except someone brought it to one of the girls' attention that it was available, and after thinking she went for it!  Now, the mani/pedi/facial gal gave her 2 weeks! CHEAPER RENT somewhere else! I offered her lower rent, no go. So, NOW I am down $600.00 per week in rents to support the business. EXTREMELY substantial.  I am not even bringing in enough rent to even pay the lease, not to mention utilities, etc.  I want to puke, I am having meltdowns, and am going insane with worry. I have spread the word, to everyone and their brother. No response. WHAT IN THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO???  PLEASE I BEG OF SOMEONE FOR ADVICE!!!!!!

gd
Gold Member

Don't panic
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:51:50 PM
On a light side, welcome to the wonderful world of salon ownership. What you have called the "UNTHINKABLE", most salon owners consider to be normal, stylists come and go. I would suggest at this point, put together a program to recruit renters. Offer free rent for a month, free backbar and anything else you can think of. Get a list of stylists in your area from your state board, talk to your sales reps. Just don't panic and good luck!!!

avalon salon

Thank you for your reply, now a question.....
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:52:31 PM
I "THANK YOU" for your wisdom and experience.  I have to say that at this time, I am calmer.  I guess when in a situation where you "HAVE" to rely on people's rent to keep your doors open, it is alittle un nerving.  I DO have a question, tho. I was wondering; At the time the two girls worked at the salon, I had become overwhelmingly busy with a ton of new clients. Before I knew it, I could not accomodate the regulars.  So I dispersed them to the other two girls.  NOW, since they moved to a not-so-user-friendly space and area, I am afraid some of those people will go elsewhere not knowing I am available now.  Would sending a postcard to my former clients stating that I have re-organized my salon and hours to support both new and former clients be in bad taste since they now go to the other girls?
I LOVE to be creative ~ So shut up and sit down, and let me work my magic!

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 3:06:18 PM
Of course you can send out cards to these clients and do it immediately. This is business not a game!!

avalon salon

Thank you gd!
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 10:57:49 PM
I so appreciate anyone and everyone who takes the time to help me out.  You are much appreciated!

Hair by angel
Bronze Member

avalon salon
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:13:16 AM

Send out cards and call if you can and personally invite clients.  Re-establishing a relationship works...

Increasing prices for those clients who you have difficulty with is also one way of opening up some space for new clients...

you go!!!

Hair by angel
Bronze Member

avalon salon
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:21:11 AM

get creative ............offer product parties  (Free services for referals) to existing clients untill you get the stations filled.  Kids birthday parties ...serve pizza... can you sell accessories?  Make-up? when you do get the chairs filled. fill any part-time stations with other part-timers.

best of luck

I can do all things thru Christ who gives me strength!

avalon salon

Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:38:02 AM
AWESOME ADVICE! Thank you so much for the great suggestions, as well as your valuable time.  I feel that this is a beginning for me of sorts because when I began this personal venture, I was unaware on how to act, and meltdowns were frequent in the very beginning.  I have a chance to start fresh, and am being helped by "THE GRACE OF GOD'S MIRACLES" and a woman I had met on craig's list (who I had plegerized her want ad, funny enough) she has agreed to be my personal consultant, and NOT allowing me to give up.  She has basically given me a (scrotum) so now I have the chance to fill it with two powerful things!  I am now I have of sorts "GIVEN UP" whatever the outcome may be, because last week I had a realization that it is not my will anymore. So, giving it up to "THE BIG MAN"  who has freed up more time for me to concentrate on working, just being happy, and moving on.