Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > NJ State Board Exam....A Mess!!!
Posted By:
Posted By:xxhairdivaxx on: 5/4/2008 12:14:58 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: NJ State Board Exam....A Mess!!!
xxhairdivaxx
Bronze Member

NJ State Board Exam....A Mess!!!
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 12:14:58 PM

Yesterday I took my state board exam and it was a mess!!! First when I arrived it was over 100 people waiting in the vestibule for the conductors of the exam to get their game plan together.  We waited for an half an hour before they called the models in.  Once we were registered so to speak we went into the caffeteria of a vo. tech. school and waited for another half an hour for the instructors to decide to do the written first or the practical.  After they flipped the coin practical won.  Its 10:30 when we finally get things under way.

It was about 80 of us, 12 to a 6ft table packed in like sardines.  Bags and equipment all over the place and bumping into each other while digging for the proper things we needed for a certain part of the practical.  Then they had to nerve to rush us through it because of the group waiting in the hall to take their manicuring practical. 

Shaving was first, then facials, tweezing, waxing, draping for shampoo, scalp manipulations, proper brushing for shampoo, then barrel curling, pressing, hair cutting, texturing or thinning, color vir. and t-up, relaxers vir. and t-up, the state board set and manicuring.

I have a question: Being that space was tight too death and the instructors rushing I was a little slow at executing what they wanted because I had to dig to find the proper bag. But when I got myself together I did exactly what they wanted me to demonstrate and did it right.  Will this count against me?  Also I didn't finish the state board set only made it to the first fingerwave in the back of the head.  Will that count against me?

I was a nervous wreck.  I aced the written part.  134 questions.

I just couldn't believe how unorganized they were.  When I took the board in 1994 it was about 300 people and we were in the gym at the same school.  Only 6 to a table and we had all the room we needed to set up our mock station, but this time around was a complete mess.