Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Please tell me this happens to others...
Posted By:
Posted By:smashing on: 5/22/2008 6:56:17 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Please tell me this happens to others...
smashing

Please tell me this happens to others...
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:56:17 AM

Not that I wish it on you, but....

I gave a guy a terrible haircut yesterday. Just awful. This hasn't happened to me in a long time and I was embarrassed and feel awful. How do I shake this and get over the fear that this one bad haircut is going to ruin my reputation?

Has anyone else out there given someone a haircut they didn't like?

russnyc
Platinum Member

Haircut
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:00:28 AM
I did a layered cut on a Japanese relaxed head of hair the other day, and she complained the very next day because she lets it air dry rather than blowing it straight and it wasn't sitting right. I offered the next cut for free. I have also had a handful of strange textured haired people where the hair DOES NOT behave when cut. This one woman had a head of hair like a dandelion, it literally sprung up everywhere after the cut and looked terrible.

What smooths over a bad cut is sincerity and follow through. If the cut doesn't work leaving the chair that day, insist that they come back by the end of the week if they have a problem styling it themselves.

Sometimes people don't realize they have challenging hair because the stylist before you has created "workarounds" or excuses that become undone when she winds up in your chair.

The hair is shredded, uneven, piecy or textured excessively to hide these challenges so if you do a straightforward cut on them, it pops right out again.

You can avoid bad haircuts by spending extra time doing a "forensic consultation". If an alarm is going off in your head about something weird going on with the hair or the shape, ASK plenty of QUESTIONS.

If you don't get concrete answers or she keeps referring to how her old hairdresser handled things, put the shears down and reiterate how YOU will approach the chalenge, and get her to agree before proceeding.

Every stylist will approach a challenge differently. This is supposed to be an ASSET not a liability. Just make sure they understand this.

smashing

Forensic hairstyling...
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 8:14:49 AM

I just love that, and that's why this cut wigged me out, I really thought I had invesitigated his whirls and cowlicks, but they kicked my rear end.

You know, it's just heartbreaking to love what you do so much and not give a client a great haircut and experience. This has really shaken my confidence, and since I'm in a new salon, the confidence of my co-workers in me. There was even talk yesterday of sending me to cutting classes so I could "step it up a notch", which I welcome, but still felt ego crushing. I just want to grow, learn and move forward and I keep seeing this haircut I hate...it's haunting me!

As I mentioned, this is a new salon for me, upscale, full books, great repeat clients. I've only been doing hair 1 year and so I know I have lots to learn, I just didn't think I was doing bad work. Now, after one bad cut, I feel I'm in danger of being moved to apprentice level and going backwards instead of forwards! It's really shaken me and now I feel all eyes are on me when I cut, style, anything. I hope I can overcome their doubts, I want to succeed!

salowner

Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 6:10:11 PM
I have a new nail tech and that is very good ,however, she can't seem to build.  I wonder if it is the economy, the Asian nail places or what?  Does anyone have any input?

6618molly

Two responses
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:33:25 PM

Salon Owner: Asian places are all over, they do a good job at a reasonable fee, no need to out source nail salons to asian countries. Competetition is a good thing. And far as I'm concerned there are more than enough heads and hands (and toes) to go around for all of us. If her prices are in line and she is a decent nail tech I'm sure she'll build. But good for you for looking at the economy, etc. It does all have an impact on our services and our bottom line and should all be taken into consideration.

Smashing: OMG!!! Only one bad haircut !!!??? And what do you call a bad haircut....uneven, nicked, etc., or just didn't look good on this guy.  There's a difference. A bad haircut...no excuse, give him his money back, apologize and offer a freebie. Fess up, don't try and pursuade him it looks ok. If on the other hand it was a new style and just didn't work...he'll get over it as will you. Lighten up on yourself. If it was a bad haircut...learn. If you lose the guy another will come...but you can only go through so many before the word gets out. Most of us feel it when we aren't happy with the results of our styles...so we all feel your pain, believe me.

Billinaz

bill in az

russnyc
Platinum Member

bad haircut, smashing
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 9:20:55 AM
This has happened to me too. All you can do is put your best foot forward. In the case of a cowlick or whirl, you section off the whole top of the head into what's called a "button" section, and dry it softly into place before cutting.

Oftentimes in a salon, there is what I call "low guy on the totem pole". This is often the new or insecure guy EVERYONE focuses all their fears on or encourage others to focus on; to KEEP THE FOCUS OFF OF THEMSELVES. "Did you see that weird haircut Steve did?"

Those that are encouraging you to take a class are doing so to continue the focus on you, and to keep them from being focused on...

When someone points out your challenging haircut WEEKS LATER this is exactly why. The best thing to do is SAY AND DO NOTHING. This way the energy behind it will become stagnant and fall away. Just hum a bit and walk out of the room.

Remember, unless it it the owner or manager telling you something, there is very little energy in it unless you continue to promote it yourself in your own energy and thoughts.

Put a stop to it by stopping all the energy behind it.