Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > perm gone really baaaad
Posted By:
Posted By:cutnrun on: 6/20/2008 10:58:15 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: perm gone really baaaad
cutnrun

oh dear!!
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 10:58:15 AM

for the first time in my two year career.... three if you count school, i had a perm go really bad!!  An 81 yr old lady who said she had not put color on her hair or had a perm in over a year.... her hair was about 5-6 in long.  When i shampooed it, it felt a little odd.... not too healthy to be exact, but i didnt listen to my instincts and did the perm anyway.....  It took really well in the nape and first inch and a half of growth, but the rest was a gummy mess!  i had to cut most of it off...and more really needs to come off to get it healthy.  she told me that she did have a bout of "cradle cap" and had used scalpacin for awhile... does anyone know if that stuff damages the hair shaft severely??

xxhairdivaxx
Bronze Member

Oh dear, indeed!
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 2:16:21 PM

Not to worry...Only thing is that Scalpicin is medicated and it was a fine time for her to tell you this after you did the perm, but always follow your gut instinct.  She has a bad case of steatoids...YUCK, but its to be expected in elderly women. And yes it does make the hair shaft gummy and she's going to need to use a medicated shampoo for a while to get her hair and scalp healthy again. But next time when in doubt; a test curl will help you out.  If you're not sure; a strand test is the cure.

Good Luck

cutnrun

thanks
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 7:27:32 PM
Her scalp was in good condition.  I think it had been a couple of months since she used it.  She had actually scratched her head so much in a couple of spots that she had balded herself, but it was growing back really nice...  about 3/4 of an inch.  I told her to come back in 4 wks and have another half inch trimmed off so we can at least get all the gummy crap off.....  I thought about that test curl.... after the fact.  Next time, I will NOT second guess myself.....  better luck next time...