Posted By:
Posted By:ironwoodmi on: 4/9/2005 8:25:48 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: ----Help with Redken Color-----
ironwoodmi
Bronze Member

----Help with Redken Color-----
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 8:25:48 AM

Well guys sorry this one is posted in this section but I could not for the life of me get into the 'color section' of the message boards.....

I have been an avid schwarzkopf color user for the last 12 years and I have a good knowledge on it  but here is my trouble:

Our second salon is shutting down and joining us while the larger salon is being built and they use REDKEN color and we are going to be using it too along w/ our Igora color from Schwazkopf. I have used the old AMINO colors from them many years ago but have lost touch with redken products too long ago.

We are going to be having a big color class to update us on their products but I am wondering if anyone out there has the "behind the secrets" about using this color system.

I still use and stick to the general rules of  color before breaking them so any help with tips, tricks, etc will help me out alot......

Anyone have any info, we are going to have on hand, the whole line right down to Shade EQ ( which I have used in the past so no trouble on that end)

Help.............

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 10:37:36 AM
If I were you, I would stick to the Schwarzkopf.... The two cannot compare..

ironwoodmi
Bronze Member

......I know............
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 1:59:20 PM

I know HOT LOCKS.......... the two do not compare.

Both shops will be together shortly after our new building is up but some use redken and some of us use the GOOD STUFF(Schwarzkopf)..... The boss is keeping both so we all have to "get used" to them.......

sidebar: I will do the redken class and use the product then --- but I am sticking with shchwarzkopf..... just have to make veryone happy!!!

"If you follow the herd -- Your likely to step in something!"

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 3:06:57 PM
Well, if the salon is keeping both, then there should be no need for you to use the Redken- except if you just want to try something new and learn something new.  You will only learn that Schwarzkopf is better (but then you already know that)

AMI
Bronze Member

here's the thing
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 6:39:53 AM
if shades eq is so phenomenal and no one really "loves" Color Fusion why does this great company not get on board and change the formulation? I am loving their product line, jurys still out on the the permanent color line for me I have to give it more time ('cause I can make any color rock>oops cocky of me:)(just feeling frisky) but I have heard this complaint again , and again.For a company to have one color product so high quality and the other just as Randy jackson says "it's aight.." just a thought......

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 6:48:06 AM
I don't know, but personally I think shades has too much peroxide.  They are selling a demi line as a semi line and that bugs.  I would stick to the Igora Personality.  WAy more shine and no line of demarcation.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 8:11:33 AM
I don't know why, but i really love Color sync and socolor.  I think it's so easy, and i think the shades are the most attractive and vibrant that i've seen from a color line.  The only color line i might be more impressed with is Wella.  I'm just not too impressed with Redken.  Maybe i haven't given it a fair shake because my last salon used it, and their color results to me were not impressive, but even mixing the color myself, i just wasn't loving it.  What do you guys think of socolor?

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 8:45:40 AM
hey.. I thought you were a JPMS GIRL

AMI
Bronze Member

do you think aliens took VAL?
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 8:03:48 PM
'cause truly I wasn't expecting that either! I love the Color as well as Renbow Colorissimo(my true best friend and if you haven't used it you don't know what your missing)Shines to me is very similar to shades , both very good . lovely.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 9:29:11 PM
I think she is posessed.  She hasn't mentioned RC in weeks!

ironwoodmi
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 10:22:07 PM
Valley........ So-Color sux big time.  I do like the color sync for some corrective coloring and an initial brighteneing of some ones hair but it tends to not fade off and if you give them a 2nd dose it doesnt seem to turn out as well as the first......... Do you have to use a lighter shade to get the same results with color sync???? It seems on a few that I used it on it tends to keep getting DARKER!!!!???  As for the redken color ---- I am just going to use the shades EQ and stick with Schwarzkopf for my permanent line !!!!!!!!  Schwarzkopf is still the best!!!!

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 10:50:46 PM
SCHWARZKOPF WOOP!

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:31:29 PM
I don't think it does.  I have always been impressed with Socolor.  Why do you think it sucks?  I have never tried Swarskoph (spelling)  but i have heard that it's quite good.  What do you like about it.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:38:31 PM

Everything.  Socolor is high in ammonia- because of that you do get more fadage.  It is harder to cover gray although most of the time it is ok, just not consistent enough.

I have used Schwarzkopf for 10 years and I haven't found anything better!  Covers gray and is VERY predictable.

ironwoodmi
Bronze Member

vally.........
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:53:42 PM

So_color does not have the greay coverage that I need, it fades too much, especially the reds and browns. The blondes tend to wash out their tone too but do last a little longer the the reds and browns.  So-Color also doesnt not have the conditioning benefits like other brands do........

I love swarzkopf, the conditioning is there/built right into the color ( Called Plantian 2000 -- spelling may be a little off on that name) 

You get a true 100% grey coverage with believable tones.  The colors are not flat --- theyall have a nice secondary tone  so the hair does seem to have more of a multi dimentional look and not look like those flat "wiggy" colors. 

They just came out with a line of new REDS that are also 100% grey coverage and they are really fantastic!!!!!!  My favorite is "7-80"  The color is so vivid even after a months worth of washing and my red head clients just love it....... 

We just did a long time customer that was ALL GREY with the

" 6-80" and she came out beautiful and when it was time to retouch --- the midshaft and ends were still the same shade -- AWESOME!!!!

I would have to say that  this is the best color line I have used in the last 12 years so I will not be using the redken at all, I only asked about help with the redken color because our salons will be combining into ONE and they like to use it there , just like to stay on top of everything and see what is going on out there.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:56:03 PM

Iron... I am with you 100% on everything you said about Socolor AND SCHWARZKOPF!

hey we are schwarzkopf soul mates...

ok Im not gonna get all weird like Vally... jk

ironwoodmi
Bronze Member

HOT LOCKS.....
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 12:02:54 AM
I just tried to add you to my MSN and Yahoo but you are not there........  or online????????????  HEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!  Lets chat!!!!!!!!!!

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

ironwoodmi
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 12:40:11 AM
Thank you for the info.  I would love to try it.  I'm not sure if any of the salons in my area use it.  I'm in a rather small area, and most of the people i work with are still scared of color. 
hot-locks-lol, very funny

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 9:35:30 AM
I do use msn messenger.. but not yahoo very much...

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 7:50:17 PM
I like the new update.
mc

AMI
Bronze Member

hey Val
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 7:08:31 AM
did you have an epiphany of sorts? just curious. I can read between the lines like no ones biz, was you helped to see the chill out light by the demi him self pre haps? Is cool grrl I think you put all that love and direction toward where you want to go and you are gonna get there a whole lot sooner.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

AMI
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 9:25:01 PM
Thank you for the career advice.  I am trying right now to really become good technically.  I have my theory down, but i'm really trying to improve my time, and to cut a straight line, and finishing.  Finishing is the hardest for me.

ironwoodmi
Bronze Member

well this ends it for me...........
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 5:32:46 PM

Well I wanted some tips and tricks for redken but it seems it didntturn out like that so I am not going to include myself in this thread anymore........  SCWARZKOPF all the way!!!!!!!!

Throw redken in the circular file!!!!  lol

AnthonyFreestyle

Redken
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 2:35:35 PM
I'm not A great big fan of Redken but I will say that once you mastered it it's just like any other color out there. If you as a colorist have a great eye for color it doesn't really matter what line you use. The only differece is The way the colors are formulated. With Redken the colors are more pure and they go by a european color level. So with Redken, a level 5 will be a level four. So if you want a hair color shade to be a level 5 you would actually use a level 6 depending on the base of the hair. The shades Eq is even more of a pure color. so you would deposit. one to two shades lighter then what you would yous on the root area. OH! and shades EQ is deffinately not semi permanent. It is a demi. And the peroxide they use with it is the correct amount. Shades is a great tool. I will say that the best shades of reds I ever had were from the redkin color gels and shades EQ. The kickers and pops work great. Give it a try....Learn how to use them......It couldn't hurt. It's another way to bring bussiness to the salon...by offering your clients another color line. Some people out there ask for it. Oh and platinum ice in shades works great.

AMI
Bronze Member

thanks for input Anthony
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 7:49:52 PM
it does seem that Shades eq is really the only  quality color product Redken has . Again I don't quite get it, for such a power house company why not reformulate the permanent color line to something thicker,creamier,lower ammonia, with more shine?

AnthonyFreestyle

I see what you mean!
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 5:18:35 PM

Well, I can give you a couple tips for how to make shades thicker, For all you brush users out there.

1. Redken sells a color thickener.

2.Use a cream peroxide. Matrix has one for thier demi permanents.

3. Shades work great as intensifiers with any cream demi permanant colors.

Im sure there are many other ways.....but these ways work for me.

cherylfifi

Hope This Helps!
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 9:53:51 PM
I have been using Redken color for one year now. This is what I've found; NW is GREAT for grey coverage-always add it when there is grey. Color gels tend to be a level darker than the swatch (just a level) so, I go one up also . When using reds and u want vibrancy-always throw in a splash of red KICKER or 6r...they add great intensity to r's or rv's or rb's. NW (again) while great for grey also works great w/reds so they don't look fake. Blonding gels are great results-true to the swatches unlike the other color gels. I have used redken to do a retouch on socolor and had no lines of demarcation. The n's are great too! Good luck. When I first used this line I HATED IT, it took me about 6 weeks to like it and about 10 to LUV it!      

AMI
Bronze Member

I will say...
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 8:07:13 PM
my vote may still be out on the Redken color(with exception  of Shades..and am liking color fusion more ..gels -blah)BUT REDKEN EXCHANGE ROCKS!! The place is exceptional in their education and how they but it across. Everyone I met was wonderful and positive. Very cool experience. I went to kind of try out the product and even though the class subject matter was something I was kind of blaise about I still felt challenged and inspired. Great place , great instructors. learned some great teaching tools  and got alittle juice(cause i was feeling all dried up)Thanks

hairdressah

not even one framesi user out there ?
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2005 8:38:54 PM
I use shades EQ for toning and glazing, or a shine treatment with a hint of color. but my permanent line is framesi FRAM and 2001 I use both. Anyone else tried it ?

jussdvilsh

redken rocks
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 7:54:20 PM
 We have always had redken at the aslon I work at and now we have schwarzkopf, however you spell it.  We also carried framesi and kuene at one point.  And yes shades rock and I have never had a line of demarcation.  I have with igora personalitys.  There developer is much stronger than shades eq.  And as far as gray coverage color gels are the best.  Fusion is good for formulating those true copper reds.  Were I found that Igora royal reds are to pinky even there coppers.  I love them too though for different reasons.  There is much more pigment in all of the schwarzskopf lines. 

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 8:46:01 PM
absolutely untrue.

brendakay

Redken Color
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:42:13 PM
I am strictly a Redken girl.  You just need to know the tricks and tips to get what you want.  Always go a shade or 2 lighter than your target color.  There new shimmer line that took the place of shades above is great for a color glazing or just a clear glaze for shine.  As for the gels there are so many colors to chose from and formulas.  I could go oon and on but you get the idea. Anyone else likin the redken as much as  me

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 2:29:27 PM

I love redken..... for oh so many reasons.

AMirage

rlmaddox

Framesi no more....
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 6:40:58 PM

Don't be afraid to just jump off and try the Redken Color.  With a few minor adjustments...the formulation is not so different than any other color line.

After 27 years of Framesi color....I recently switched to Redken...cold turkey (mostly Color Fusion).  I currently use all of the color lines except Color Gels.  Redken puts Framesi to SHAME!  Truer hues...richer more vibrant colors...better gray coverage by far...with little or no fadage.

Redken Rocks as far as I'm concerned...and the customer service and education are premiere!!!

LadiGreens

Redken Fadage
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 6:40:10 AM
I have used Redken forever and basicly love it. But lately I have been having trouble with the color fading. The client will return in 5 weeks and all those low lights level 5 natural are now a very brassy level 7. I use the proper time and formulas but always get this fadage. I'm begining to think it's the color line. Oh the grey is still covered when they return. How can I get it to stay I would really hate to switch lines.

rlmaddox

Possible Solutions to Fadage
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 8:12:53 AM

Ladigreens, are you using Shades EQ for your low lights?  I find that to be much more effective than Color Fusion.  Is your client using Redken home care products, such as Color Extend line...particularly Total Recharge?  You can produce beautiful low lights, but if they go home and use some cheap shampoo, it's going to fade quickly.

I also find that fadage is worse with damaged or porous hair.  Helping them to achieve health will decrease fadage.  Do you use the Redken Chemistry Treatment with your clients?  IT ROCKS!  And, I charge $30 per Chemistry Treatment!

I hope this is helpful....write back if I can be of any other assistance.  I love Redken!